Finding eye dominance on kid

Does anyone have a foolproof way of finding eye dominance on a kid? My boy is going to be 4 soon and loves everything outdoors. He watches me shoot and really wants a bow. Looking at kids bows now, it's crazy the amount of adjustment you can have in a bow. The low end of the range should definitely fit him now and all the way up until he starts to hunt if he'd like to.

He's fairly smart and can communicate just fine. I've tried testing his eye dominance the only way I know, by "aiming" at something with your finger with both eyes open and closing individual eyes to see which moves your point of aim. Some days it seems like it's his right, others his left. He throws and colors right and left handed too.

I just want to make sure I'm getting him something that will work for him right away and starting out with the proper mechanics now.

I am ambidextrous and grew up playing sports with both hands / from both sides / doing lots of things from a strong and weak point.

Sometimes if a person does “the wrong eye” in this example, it only makes his ability stronger in the long run

Don’t overthink it, and if your kid is “comfortable”, just roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Cup your hands together making a small hole at the top, like you caught a grasshopper or something you don't want to get away. Then tell your kid to take a look in the hole, and see which eye he looks in the hole with. I did that with my daughter who's 3 and it was clearly her left eye every time. If you put a treat or coin in your hands, they don't get disappointed because there was nothing in your hands haha

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
Get him toy bow like nerff or the little ones that shoot suction cup arrows, it should be apparent on which eye he closes when aiming

If the above doesn't work, set up a spotting scope and have him come look through it. Do it a few times. He'll not even think about it, he'll place his dominate eye on the eye cup.

Discovered our youngest about 6 or 7 had her dominant eye switch from left to right. All while glassing one night.

OP
A
Thanks for all the help. I will try out pretty much all these methods and get a general consensus on what he does.

Pwrhd

FNG
Get him to stand about ten feet in front of you. With you phone camera, get him to stick his thumb up, raise his arm and cover the lens with his thumb. Take a pic when he does it and that will show you where he is - left, right, center or somewhere between, it isn’t always strong right or left. In kids it can change so check about every six months or so. Super easy.

SloppyJ

WKR
I got my son the Diamond Atomic and he's getting decent with it. Tons of adjustment and I bet you could bring it down enough for a 4yr old. My son got it for his 5th birthday.

Put a hole in a shoebox and put something in the shoebox. Play a game where he has to look through the hole. Make him pick it up though so he has to orient it himself.