Finding a DIY Private Land Elk Hunt for 2025

Hi all,

I live in Colorado and hunt elk every year here and or Wyoming, but I am originally from Georgia, and my father who still lives down there has recently expressed interest in elk hunting with me. FINALLY! The problem is he wants to go next year and he and his buddies have no points. He is not interested in a guided hunt so what I am looking for is a DIY, private land hunt. This has me thinking that a New Mexico private land hunt is the way to go. Sure, we can all apply for NM next year hoping to draw, but I've been doing that for the better part of a decade and have yet to hit one so I don't have high hopes there.

I am not locked in on NM, I was just thinking that would be the best place to go because I have a good number of points in most states and these guys have zero so that makes it tricky. Most options I see online are for guided hunts. Any advice on how to find a DIY private land hunt + tag or good ideas on how to get these guys a non-guided hunt that isnt a brutal OTC Colorado hunt? Any ideas or advice is welcome.

RC_

FNG
I know it's not what you asked for but you could always buy landowner tags that allow you to hunt public. Obviously spending that money, I understand the desire to be on private and that being your dad's first hunt you're hoping to maximize opportunity for success but it is an option.

OP
Hermanator
I know it's not what you asked for but you could always buy landowner tags that allow you to hunt public. Obviously spending that money, I understand the desire to be on private and that being your dad's first hunt you're hoping to maximize opportunity for success but it is an option.
No it does not have to be private at all. Thats just a thought I had as the only non-OTC or point usage plan. A landowner tag like that would be perfect. If there a central place to buy and sell landowner tags?

RC_

FNG
Epic Outdoors and Huntin’ Fool could be starting points. I’m sure there’s others. Not an expert and haven’t done it before just know it’s out there