Finally got some!

OP
FrontierGander
As I thought!

The new Goex is lighter than the Hodgdon Powder Goex.

The can from 1996 Goex 2fg weighed in at 59.2 grains. Measure set at 60 grains and my best accuracy measure.

NEW Goex maker, 51gr.

I have another can that's brand new from,I believe 2002 if I remember the stamp correctly. I'll open this can and weigh it for another comparison.

1996 Goex 70gr 2fg - 66gr cut - 71gr tapped to settle granules.

Did not write down the info for the new goex at 70gr, but that's ok, I confirmed what I found. The NEW brand of goex, does in fact, throw a LIGHTER charge.

Would roughly 3.5 to 4 grains make a difference on the range? Heck no! But I will check this out hopefully tomorrow if I am feeling better. Would roughly 7.5 to 8 grains make a difference? I believe so.

I'll be taking out my freshly restored CVA Hawken .50cal.

I'll be shooting 60 and 70gr 2fg charges of both, New and Old Goex for accuracy comparison. A fouled shot or 2 will be taken, and I'll be using a water/oil mix patch lube so no swabbing will be necessary.

OP
FrontierGander
First shots with the NEW Goex!

I have a lot of problems I need to sort out! I have very little experience with this rifle. #1 mistake. Not sure what nipple I have in this, I'm thinking it's a Spitfire, but will double check while cleaning.

Once the barrel warms, she's hitting low left, then moving toward the center. Craziest thing I've experienced with an open sight rifle!

Once I get it apart I'll check the tang screw for tightness, then go from there.

The New Goex is super clean burning, very little smoke! Out in the day light, there does not seem to be much graphite, if any, in the powder.

All recovered patches were in excellent condition.

Dirty patch is after I lightly swabbed the bore after the 11th shot. I took a total of 12 today.

A lot to learn, especially with this new to me,rifle.

UPDATE: Found the tang screw was loose! I'll keep an eye in that. If it happens within a few shots, it will need to be bedded in epoxy.

ihookem

FNG
It is nice to know the new powder is better. Most times the quality goes down hill. The price that I have been seeing is also not too bad neither.