Filson-wool- what am I missing?

Filson products in general. I own some. Really enjoy a Mackinaw vest. Just bought the Western version. I'll love them forever. But they're more Style type products. I bought a Mackinaw coat recently. Same type concept. Maybe hunt in it. I'll walk the dogs in it and whatever.

But I was really taken back when I ran across the Jac-Shirt in a store the other day. $345. Wasn't overly impressed. Their designs honestly are so square and basic, like something you'd cut out for a HS Home Economics class. Don't see overly difficult to sew and build.

I've gone down the Wool road a few times. For hunting out of the cabin or day hunts it has it's place.

I LOVE USA made gear and clothing. I get that's maybe 40% of the allure of Filson. It's part of the reason I invest in it. But.....this Jac-Shirt really left......scratching my head. Pendleton is US also. Or at least sourced/based (Filson now has made or imports the majority of their stuff, although the wool I think- is US sourced). You could double layer Pendleton shirts for less than you could purchase the Jac-Shirt.

I have a Fjallraven wool shirt. It's nearly as thick as the Jac-Shirt, for well less than 50% of the price.

Just kind of asking....what is going on with Filson? For those prices I think I'd really rather support a smaller guy, like Duckworth or Pendleton. Is it just the Name and the Brand? Cuz I think equal or better quality is available elsewhere. Also asking "Who is paying theses prices and buying this stuff"? LumberSexuals and urban snobs?

Their prices have went out of sight overt the years.

Rumor has it that they are suffering because their home office if in WV and most sheep have left the state and the ones that remain there wont be caught by any man again anytime soon.

jd1006

WKR
Seems like the story of many brands…they get their moment of popularity and realize that people will pay for the image more than the quality and they capitalize on it. I really like a few of the things I have from them, but their basic wool stuff, there’s competitors out their sourcing it local and making it local. Look at Voormi for wool. Duckworth is another great option. You might stir up some folks on here because there’s some drama with where the sheep roam and the disease they are bringing to some areas.

Coldtrail

WKR
I have lots of the tin cloth stuff from Filson along with the wool liners & pants, but it was all bought 20+yrs ago when a normal person could still afford it. It was good stuff, and lasts longer than anything else i ever tried. All of it still in use, but at current prices replacement is an impossibilty for me.

Its the curse of "made in USA", I used to live in certain american built pac boots 4-5 months a year too, but now they push $400 a pair & get resoled every other year due to the rubber cracking. The people that used to rely on many of these american made goods can no longer afford them

schuy2147

FNG
Filson has invested heavily in their marketing while simultaneously moving many of their products to overseas manufacturing. There aren’t many items left actually US made. Like others have said, they’re playing to the trends.

Spindrift

FNG
FILSON has been bought and sold at least four times in the last 20 years. In short, that’s what you guys are seeing. Too bad, really, but not unlike Traeger, Stanley, or even Dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldtrail

WKR
Obviously some of you haven't tried the $50 Filson forest scented candles....totally bad a$$, I hang my $180 Filson Alaskan Guide flannel shirt next to it while I'm prepping my man bun before going to the coffee house, it's like forest bathing without actually going to the forest

Wrench

WKR
Once the skinny jeans crew got their hands on it.....it was doomed.

Mackinaw stuff and tin cloth is great....but the stuff you might catch a lumberhomo wearing, not so much.

As for pricing, remember, $275 is a lot, unless we're talking gallons of gas.

Shraggs

WKR
I own a bunch of filson, wool and treated cloths. Agree with op and everyone.

I’m thinking more than anything the leadership(s) is/are guilty of any market and product innovation , simply milking the historical allure with antiquated products. They could be doing so much more with their worsted wool in different cuts and weights to drawn in more customers.

If we’re fair here, Sitka, kuiu and FL aren’t cheap and I’ve paid for them. My pieces are worth to me. Many of them won’t be here in 20 years, like a few of my filson.

If filson could commit to the active outdoorsman wool products with their USA made quality I’d buy them.

OP
J
I still buy a wool piece here and there. I am floored with the reviews they post....they're really schitty. One after the other "No longer made in the US...poor quality. Poor stitching. Returned"

Several similar post right on the website

Coldtrail

WKR
To give Filson credit where credit is due, they do honor a good warranty. I have been pleasantly surprised at their willingness to repair some of the goods I have that I just plain wore holes through or tore open....no charge.

There are a few problems with Filson. The first is they now cater to rich hipsters that want to look the part and have money to blow on overpriced goods. The other issue is Seattle has an insane cost of living and keeping the USA made goods built there costs a lot. If anything they should move production over to Spokane like Nicks boots.

Compare this to Buck Knives which are made in USA 5 hours away in Post Falls, ID and they are reasonably priced and high quality.