Filming Hunts

So, I have been filming my families hunts for years. Mainly just to relive the adventure, I really enjoy filming them too. Guess I have a little artistic interest that I didn't consider for a long time 😂. I have always just used my cell phone and spotter for digiscoping. The videos are somewhat amateur, but have been good enough. I would like to get a little more serious with it now.

To all you filmers out there should I get a camera or stick with the cell phone? I am not interested in GoPros. I think the cell may be good enough but it can be a pain to get the spotter set up and use the Novagrade system to film every time I see an animal. Would love to hear thoughts and suggestions.

Here is a hunt I filmed if you are interested to see what you think I could add.

Last edited:

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I’m no expert, but I looked into this last summer since my Fiancé had Canon Rebel laying around. From what I found in my research it’s all about the lens. Cell phones can be good but will lack a lot with distance. If you want to get into it more I’d say get a decent DSLR camera, learn how to use it and invest in nice lenses. I’m not a filmer, so I balked at the price of good lenses. But if I really wanted to dive in this is what I would do.

Rich M

WKR
We used to do that w vhs tapes. Find we dont watch em much anymore.

Im getting a camera for a trip, nice to have multiple options. Get the camera and use your phone. Enjoy it. Have annual watch the videos weekends.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I use Tactacam cameras to self film my hunts. For me it’s about preserving the memories so I don’t care if the quality suffers (even though they record in 4K and are great)

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
We used to do that w vhs tapes. Find we dont watch em much anymore.

Im getting a camera for a trip, nice to have multiple options. Get the camera and use your phone. Enjoy it. Have annual watch the videos weekends.
Love the annual watch the videos weekends!

I'd go with a camcorder, that way you can zoom super far, but still can do talking heads and stuff. They're a lot cheaper than a dslr or mirrorless and with those you would have to buy two lenses and be switching them to do talking heads.