Field repair kit

TravisIN

WKR
I did some searches and didn’t turn anything up

What are you all packing on a backpack hunt as far as tools or cleaning kit? I have a bow kit dialed and anytime you see someone doing a pack dump on you tube, the archery ones usually have a repair kit but can’t remember every seeing a gun guy have one. Is that just bc they are inherently more durable? Is it bc the weight of the gun tools aren’t worth it? Share your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my fix it sticks set, worth the weight but I don’t take it on an actual hunt. It stays in the truck. I make sure everything is good to go before I head out. I quit carrying gear for “just in case” years ago, makes the pack lighter.

TaperPin

WKR
Nothing stops a hunt as fast as accidentally jamming the muzzle into the ground, so electrical tape for the muzzle and a way to pull through a patch are must haves. Weed eater line a foot or so longer than twice the barrel length works great when folded in the middle and a fairly large cotton patch is pulled through. Weed eater line is also stiff enough to dig out packed in dirt if need be. No other barrel cleaning setup is as compact and light weight.

The scope is the weak link - I always carry a Lens Pen.

During the season, a second rifle at the truck is the only way I’d want to fix a gun issue.

rayporter

WKR
multi tool, weed eater line and tape. also a zip loc with an oil soaked piece of cloth.

one very cold wet hunt the moisture froze in the bolt and trigger and i removed the action to thaw the bolt and trigger over the stove.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have two kits that we have put together for field kits. The Long range all in one kit stays in my truck at all times. It has pretty much everything except a barrel vise for fixing a rifle. The all in one kit is a lot smaller and works perfect for keeping in the bottom of your pack.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the correct allen keys (and torx key) for my rifle/scope rings in a sling thing. Also carry a swiss army knife that has screwdrivers plus is my spare blade for animal cleaning/camp knife.

Total kit weight is light and allows you to tighten action and mount screws if needed.

An important piece of gear I have is a Rapid Rod folding cleaning rod. I almost never clean my gun barrels (and especially not in the field). But that folding rod has saved two hunts where people I was with had cartridges loaded too long and left the bullet in the lands and dumped powder all over the chamber when they unloaded. We were able to use the rods to knock the bullet out. The pull through kit one hunter had couldn't be used to dislodge the bullet.

I'll have a couple small patches in that kit as well in case I need to run something down the barrel if the muzzle gets dirt in it, etc.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Allen key for action screws, torx key for scope and an Atsko Rapid Rod with brush end. A solid cleaning rod is needed for a few issues that I've seen. Ice, snow, dirt, and in Africa wasps that like to plug your barrel with mud.
If I'm going somewhere with no access to the outside world short of an airplane, I take a backup scope in rings, or red dot sight that fits the scope base ready to go.

Jeremy

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Mate that weedeater line is a great idea!

I have a small pouch that has a bore snake, flannel patches, eye dropper bottle of rifle oil, the appropriate torx/allen bits for my rifle/scope and a small microfiber for scope lenses.
Electrical tape on the muzzle to keep nasties out.

Kurts86

WKR
I carry a leatherman skeletool and bit set with all my rifle bits. Torque wrenches and full cleaning rod are at the vehicle. Taping muzzles really helps with obstructed barrels.