field dressing responsibilities?

when hunting with an outfitter in Newfoundland, who does the field dressing, the hunter or the guide? or does it differ from outfitter to outfitter?

OP
GeorgeShaw
Generally the outfitter is responsible for field care of the game. If you are able I would surely assist the guide. Moose are a big animal and they are a lot of work to take care.
I figure they have done so many, they know the easiest ways, but I will jump in anywhere I can.

I had one guided hunt where the guide insisted that it was his job to field dress my deer. He didn’t want me field dressing it where I shot it because it would ruin the spot. Unfortunately, he waited over twelve hours to do anything with it and all the meat tasted horrible. Left a bad taste in my mouth, literally and figuratively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
Sure but I’ve cut and packed a lot of moose, if I ever find myself paying to hunt them, I’m going to be super lazy.
HAHAHA I like it. Thats when you go "im going to go look for a caribou or bear now".

roymunson

WKR
i let my guide lead the way, but grabbed and pulled wherever I could I don't get to do this all the time. No way I was gonna miss out on carrying 90#+ on my back if I had the choice. It sucked so bad it was awesome!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not moose, but shouldn't be any different. I've only been on one outfitted hunt; a Dall sheep hunt last year in AK. After I shot my ram, the guide started caping it (wasn't going to muck that up and let a pro do it). As soon as there was room to "get int there" I started boning meat (even had my own "meat tarp").

The guide (and then shortly thereafter, the packer also) said "geez we've never had a hunter do that". I just shrugged and kept after it :D

I also packed a good share of meat (in addition to the head), that's just the way I've always done it—no sense in changing now.

Rwolf

FNG
I see a few people I don’t want to share a campfire with because they’d probably drop their trash and expect someone to pick it up. Just because you can do or not do something doesn’t make it right. Yall probably wouldn’t even tip him because you already paid for the hunt. I guess I was raised differently.

OP
GeorgeShaw
i let my guide lead the way, but grabbed and pulled wherever I could I don't get to do this all the time. No way I was gonna miss out on carrying 90#+ on my back if I had the choice. It sucked so bad it was awesome!
I did ask if I needed to bring my pack frame, and he said No, just a regular backpack for rain coat, lunch, water bottle

roymunson

WKR
I did ask if I needed to bring my pack frame, and he said No, just a regular backpack for rain coat, lunch, water bottle
Nothing wrong with that. I'd just feel like I got the short end if I killed an animal that big and didn't have a part in getting it back out to where it needs to be. I have fond memories of being hunched over and hurting on the way out. Heck, mine was flat and thru a swamp, but I wouldn't give that experience away for anything.

Personally, I will jump in when it comes to meat care. The meat is priority #1 for me, so the quicker that animal is gutted, skinned, and quartered, the quicker the meat can cool down. Two sets of hands can get that accomplished much quicker than one.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Not moose, but shouldn't be any different. I've only been on one outfitted hunt; a Dall sheep hunt last year in AK. After I shot my ram, the guide started caping it (wasn't going to muck that up and let a pro do it). As soon as there was room to "get int there" I started boning meat (even had my own "meat tarp").

The guide (and then shortly thereafter, the packer also) said "geez we've never had a hunter do that". I just shrugged and kept after it :D

I also packed a good share of meat (in addition to the head), that's just the way I've always done it—no sense in changing now.
That's what I would do if I ever went guided.

I did an Alberta moose hunt a few years back, was told the same, don’t need a pack frame, don’t need game bags, etc. A few of the “guides” even poked fun at me because of my gear. Through a series of circumstances, I end up dropping a moose alone and having to cut it up, put it in game bags, and shuttle it halfway out myself. If I didn’t, it would have been ruined before they got to it. Be prepared to take care of it yourself just in case.

OP
GeorgeShaw
I did an Alberta moose hunt a few years back, was told the same, don’t need a pack frame, don’t need game bags, etc. A few of the “guides” even poked fun at me because of my gear. Through a series of circumstances, I end up dropping a moose alone and having to cut it up, put it in game bags, and shuttle it halfway out myself. If I didn’t, it would have been ruined before they got to it. Be prepared to take care of it yourself just in case.
I was still contemplating taking my pack frame because its very light, and if it's within my weight limit, why not, right? It's an Exo Mountain, and with the smallest bag doesn't weigh much

I'm going to presume you are speaking of an in-field, field dressing kit that you would carry in a pocket or pack? While some prefer the "gutless" method of dismembering a game animal to pack out.....which I utilized on my Alaskan moose....I continue to field dress by removing deer entrails to haul out a lighter carcass on a game cart. A year ago I bought a Hawk Crawler cart and used it last fall on my buck.....worked great!