Favorite synthetic solids

Two part question:

Who makes good synthetic solids? Like a Sitka lightweight hoodies, but not Camo?

Also, anyone else have a problem with stinky pits with merino? I bought two t shirts from smart wool and icebreaker, and after wearing each once, the pits are permanently smelly. Multiple washes and soaking in baking soda won’t get rid of the smell. I have polyester t shirts I’ve been wearing to the gym for years that have virtually no retained odor. Just seems odd as this goes against everyone’s experience.

Only thing I've noticed with some wet merino is a slight wet dog-like smell. Other than that, it never gets funky on me like cotton did.

Synthetics can get funky on me too, just not as fast as cotton. Obviously they wick moisture well. I have some synthetics that have set in a permanent funk! I find once the funk gets in its also hard to get out.

My 2 cents, wet wool is a natural smell and it doesn't concern me much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Another problem with synthetics is they can have a lot of shine and UV reflection. Some are better than others.

I UV lighted some of my Sitka stuff and only the zippers had some reflexion.

I UV lighted some of my cheapo Wal-Mart synthetics and they glowed like a beacon!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not aware of anyone making a lightweight hooded syn base layer like Sitka. I can tell you that both Patagonia's lightweight Capilene and OR's Echo base layers are basically the same as Sitka's, but no hood option. I use all three, but the Sitka one in the fall as I end up using the hood.

For longer trips I do like a merino blend for a base layer, less issues with smell over syns for me.

Back