Favorite Non-native Lenses

Anther thread has me considering a Tamaron lens. I tend to stick with native lenses (in my case Canon for my 7D) and that has often been a recommendation.

However, as an amateur picture taker (I take a lot of pictures and pick the best ones, photographers have a higher keep rate! LOL), the lenses I buy tend to be budget picks, best quality for expense and use. L lenses would be great, but until i find someone significantly discounting them, there are other places I spend money.

The majority of my photos are primarily wildlife. Landscapes tend to also be part of my photo obsession, dawn to dusk.

Tamron & Sigma are the top 2 I'm considering. But I'd think about others.

What are your specific top choice for non-native lens choices specifically for wildlife and landscapes?

Sigma and Tamron are EXCELLENT lenses. I would stay away from anything else non Canon for wildlife. The 150-600 lenses they both offer are terrific. Options depend on the budget. Canon has been cutting way back on their EF lenses while going full steam into mirrorless. As far as landscape photography, the latest Canon 16-35mm 2.8 is as good as it gets

Happy to help. Give us a call at 516-217-1000
I am in from now through 5:00 today and tomorrow and Sunday from 9-5 both days Mention Rokslide for special pricing

Joel

I really like the Tamron 28-200 I got from Cameraland. It’s on a Sony A7R4 and works great. Nice and sharp, fairly compact, light, good autofocus at a reasonable price compared to GM glass.

thadf

FNG
My experience with Sigma and Tamron has been excellent. I’d not be worried about purchasing anything from them. Pick what you think you need and go do it without reservation…

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
The only disadvantage to Sigma or Tamron in the Canon environment is if you upgrade to a mirrorless body the new AF subject detection is not as reliable as first party lenses. There are also no RF mount Sigma or Tamron lenses currently and maybe ever as there’s some drama going on around that. Even with the AF inconsistency my 70-200/2.8 and 150-600 Tamrons take great shots on my R7.

We have had no issues with customers that have purchased Tamron or Sigma and used the Canon adapters on R series cameras

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
We have had no issues with customers that have purchased Tamron or Sigma and used the Canon adapters on R series cameras
The issues come mostly with my 150-600 G2 and R7 in animal/bird eye AF tracking. It'll grab focus very quickly but after it holds for an indeterminate amount of time it'll start hunting back and forth. It's pretty well documented online. Some specific lenses exhibit more issues than others. Mine's noticeable but not unusable, particularly with the frame rate of the R7, there's usually a few good frames in a burst of shots. I should check and see if there's any new firmware out for the lens, but I checked when I got the R7 and there wasn't.

Roy_H

FNG
For wildlife, the Sigma Contemporary 150-600mm (my favorite) and the Tamron G2 150-600mm are my favorites and I view these as superior choices to some of the Nikon/Canon glass. A well respected pro photographer that I had to the pleasure of meeting awhile back uses the Sigma for most of his photos and it can be found for bargain prices. Search the Internet for Deep Green Photography to see pics taken with the SIgma that will astound you.