Favorite Long Range Stock

Sevens

WKR
Just curious what you all are using and prefer for a long range hunting stock? Was out hunting last week and one of the guys happen to have a Gunwerks Magnus with him. Spent a lot of time dry firing behind it - its an awesome rifle. I really liked that stock, but they sure are pricey.

Before I drop some major coin on the Magnus stock, just want to get a sense of what everyone else likes and would recommend/not recommend. I have a spare Defiance Anti LA laying around with BDL bottom metal I would like to purpose for this. Not looking for ultra-light (have a lot of rifles like that), but not looking to build a pig that isn't fun to carry. Just something I can shoot long range with, not hate carrying, and generally just enjoy shooting.

Other stocks I am considering, but have no experience with:
- Gunwerks Clymr
- McMillan A3
- Manners EH1
- Alterra (if they decide to offer again)
- AG Composites K2/Visigoth
- Mesa Altitude

I do have experience with an adjustable Alpine Hunter. It is okay, but not a fan of the large grip.

Anyway, curious what you all are using and like/dislike. See what I haven't considered or should avoid.

bradb

WKR
Manners lrh. Greatly prefer over my eh1s.
I have a hope for even lighter negative comb back end lrh.

Awesome question. This info is great! I'm trying to decide if I restock one of my rifles or just get one with the stock I want. It's just $$$....lol

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with it yet, but I plan on upgrading my 300 RUM to a Manners LRH

Wrench

WKR
This is super subjective. I see guys running chassis and I think it be awful for snap shooting. I can shoot an open wrist stock very well.....but some guys hate them.

My personal favorite is the HTG pattern....but most guys think the comb is too low and the wrist too swept, but that's my huckleberry.

I suggest shooting several designs from several positions and see what scratches your itch.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I really like my AG composites and their customer service is phenomenal which counts for a lot. Matt from ag posts on here once in a while.

Margoot

FNG
Mesa Precision altitude, it's a sporter with high comb and vertical grip......oh and it weighs 26oz. You'll be waiting a while for it thou. They're back logged about 3 months. Here's the one I have on my 300wsm.

Lawnboi

WKR
I havnt used them all, but there are a number of features that I look for now when choosing.

-vertical grip
-NO drop at the butt pad
-parrallel foreend to the bore, parallel where your bag rides on the back of the stock

I havnt gotten to try any negative comb stocks but a comb in line with the bore at a minimum.

Of what you listed, I personally would kick the A3 off, totally forget about the Mesa and replace the eh1 with an LRH.

I’m not a metal chassis guy for a hunting gun. But sure would like to try an mdt hnt 26.

Bbell12

WKR
I havnt used them all, but there are a number of features that I look for now when choosing.

-vertical grip
-NO drop at the butt pad
-parrallel foreend to the bore, parallel where your bag rides on the back of the stock

I havnt gotten to try any negative comb stocks but a comb in line with the bore at a minimum.

Of what you listed, I personally would kick the A3 off, totally forget about the Mesa and replace the eh1 with an LRH.

I’m not a metal chassis guy for a hunting gun. But sure would like to try an mdt hnt 26.
I understand your first 2 parameters but can you explain the advantages of a parallel forend and buttstock?

Lawnboi

WKR
I understand your first 2 parameters but can you explain the advantages of a parallel forend and buttstock?
Think of your rifle moving back under recoil. As it rides back, whatever is supporting it is aiding it in keeping on target, be it a rear bag, front bag, backpack, log, whatever. The recoil pushing the rifle back is not going to induce rise or fall of the bore on a parallel stock.

Versus say a mcmillan game warden, that has a traditional slope behind that vertical grip, when that rifle moves back under recoil the bag isn’t supporting it the same along the way, making spotting shots more difficult.

I went from mcmillan game warden/scout to a krg bravo and eh1 and it was apparent. Even worse shooting a mess altitude was an even bigger eye opener in how much stock geometry matters in spotting shots and managing recoil.

Last edited:

Bbell12

WKR
Think of your rifle moving back under recoil. As it rides back, whatever is supporting it is aiding it in keeping on target, be it a rear bag, front bag, backpack, log, whatever. The recoil pushing the rifle back is not going to induce rise or fall of the bore on a parallel stock.

Versus say a mcmillan game warden, that has a traditional slope behind that vertical grip, when that rifle moves back under recoil the bag isn’t supporting it the same along the way, making spotting shots more difficult.

I went from mcmillan game warden/scout to a krg bravo and eh1 and it was apparent. Even worse shooting a mess altitude was an even bigger eye opener in how much stock geometry matters in spotting shots and managing recoil.
Makes sense, thanks for the explanation.