Favorite 6.5 PRC bullet for elk?

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious what 6.5 PRC bullet everyone likes for elk within ~400 yards. I've seen a lot of guys talk about Berger 156 and ELD-M's, my only concern is that I'm almost positive most of my shots will be within 4-500 yards, and I know those bullets perform best when they have time to expand.

At shorter distances, I'm thinking the Nosler AB or another bonded bullet might be a good option, and I'd prefer some heavier bullets if possible.

Does anyone have a bonded bullet they recommend at those shorter distances?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Whoever says a Berger needs extreme long range to expand properly is spreading garbage info. I’ve killed bulls under 100, 200-400, bang flops single shot double lung and neck shots with the 140 Berger out of my 6.5x284. If you want a bullet that holds 90%+ of its weight the barns LRX has treated me well from 20-500 yards.

I’ve never shot the ELDs but have only heard good things.

Also, there are probably more than a few threads on this exact topic so give it a search.

OP
rockymtnsam

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
A
Whoever says a Berger needs extreme long range to expand properly is spreading garbage info. I’ve killed bulls under 100, 200-400, bang flops single shot double lung and neck shots with the 140 Berger out of my 6.5x284. If you want a bullet that holds 90%+ of its weight the barns LRX has treated me well from 20-500 yards.

I’ve never shot the ELDs but have only heard good things.

Also, there are probably more than a few threads on this exact topic so give it a search.
Sweet. I appreciate it! I did a quick search and read up on a few Berger + Barnes threads and everyone seems to have good results, I’ve just seen some posts about those match bullets separating at closer distances. But I’m fine if a bullet separates if it means a dead elk lol. I think I’m set on Bergers, most people seem to love them.

wweaver

FNG
156 Berger is a great bullet. Yes I would avoid a hard quartering to shot if you could. I use the 195 in a 7mm also, amazing bullet

I’ve killed 2 elk with 140 gr. Accubonds. There was very little bloodshot on either animals. They are the best all around bullet in my opinion. I would also try 127 lrx.

OP
rockymtnsam

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed 2 elk with 140 gr. Accubonds. There was very little bloodshot on either animals. They are the best all around bullet in my opinion. I would also try 127 lrx.
I’m leaning hard towards this right now. I love a good bonded bullet. Appreciate the insight!

OP
rockymtnsam

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a cow elk with my 6.5 prc at 30 yards with the Hornandy eldx bullet and it performed well.
Interesting that it didn’t separate, i guess that’s a good thing but surprising at that distance

Interesting that it didn’t separate, i guess that’s a good thing but surprising at that distance
I heard from other people that it held up at close range. I never planned on shooting a cow that close but you take what you can get. It might not be the best but I’m glad it doesn’t come apart at short distances.

ignore the title - lots of 6.5 kills in here at all types of impact velocities and bullets. heavy for caliber match bullets are the king of tissue damage, and do more damage at higher impact velocities.

OP
rockymtnsam

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider

ignore the title - lots of 6.5 kills in here at all types of impact velocities and bullets. heavy for caliber match bullets are the king of tissue damage, and do more damage at higher impact velocities.
I read through this quite a bit the other night, definitely interesting to see how all the different bullets perform but I think you’re right. I have a feeling the ELD-M’s will shoot well but I’m gonna grab some Berger 156 to try out as well

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a small bull last year with my 6.5prc and 147 eldm’s at 60 yards. Took about 3 steps and tipped over. Here’s the bullet that was sitting against the hide on the opposite side. 8F81893C-1E73-411E-9578-CD2B66E8EBE8.jpeg