fasted exercise

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thanks for posting that. This jives with exactly what I’ve been doing and my understanding all along.

Fasted training means training having not eaten for 4-12 hours. Doing so means you will start that training session with low muscle and/or liver glycogen stores. It is a strategic training method where carbohydrate fueling is done either later in the session or after, but not before training. To be effective and not harmful this method should only be used with aerobic base training (Zone 1 and Zone 2).

A typical approach to fasted training is to exercise first thing in the morning before you have eaten. Probably 10-12 hours have passed since you last ate. Doing fasted training later in the day requires more planning and discipline to avoid eating 3-4 hours before exercise.

180ls1

WKR
Generally speaking for the average American, the biggest benefit of fasting comes from caloric restriction. Given we tend to overeat, even if the methodology is flawed BUT it has a positive overall benefit, its worth considering utilizing.

Some of the benefits of fasted exercise may literally come down to participants just spending less time eating, because of that it that lowers the total calories consumed and helps them with weight loss.

schmalzy

WKR
Generally speaking for the average American, the biggest benefit of fasting comes from caloric restriction. Given we tend to overeat, even if the methodology is flawed BUT it has a positive overall benefit, its worth considering utilizing.

Some of the benefits of fasted exercise may literally come down to participants just spending less time eating, because of that it that lowers the total calories consumed and helps them with weight loss.

I know I’m late to this party but I think your first paragraph is spot on.

Is fasted training for conditioned athlete the end all be all, maybe not. Is it an effective tool for people to lose weight and develop an aerobic base on their way to becoming a conditioned athlete, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Is fasted training for conditioned athlete the end all be all, maybe not. Is it an effective tool for people to lose weight and develop an aerobic base on their way to becoming a conditioned athlete, yes.
Old school boxers did early morning roadwork fasted. At least most of them did. For pros, about six to seven miles seemed to be a sweet spot. It was roadwork, not running. Roadwork is not running, roadwork involves running. It also involves back pedaling, side stepping, shuffling, shadow boxing, walking, and sprinting.

Many old school boxers had a great aerobic base. They were able to fight 15 rounds and flurry in the late rounds. Much of that capability was also due to the fight specific workout done later in the day, of course, but all felt those early mornings on the road on an empty stomach was valuable.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like I've just sat in on a college level course on fitness. I read words and phrases I've never read before but I thank you all for your input as it encourages me to be more informed and I will consider making some training adjustments.

I use to do my longest training ruck training of the week, 5-7 miles, early in the morning on Saturdays around 6 am because of the heat and I fasted before and felt better when I did. Now I have to ruck on Sunday afternoons around 2 pm while it's very hot. I do well with the heat even after 5 miles but I do sweat really hard and I can usually keep my miles at 15.5 - 16 minutes miles. I had an Apple watch that tracked my HR but I killed it off earlier this year from dropping it and cracking it. But I have a decent grasp on my HR now so I know when I'm pushing really hard at 160 or above because I slow down and struggle more.

Sometimes my schedule only allows one ruck a week so my question is, should I push hard for aerobic fitness or just cruise at 15-16 minute miles in reference to what Zap and others stated?

P Carter

WKR
I feel like I've just sat in on a college level course on fitness. I read words and phrases I've never read before but I thank you all for your input as it encourages me to be more informed and I will consider making some training adjustments.

I use to do my longest training ruck training of the week, 5-7 miles, early in the morning on Saturdays around 6 am because of the heat and I fasted before and felt better when I did. Now I have to ruck on Sunday afternoons around 2 pm while it's very hot. I do well with the heat even after 5 miles but I do sweat really hard and I can usually keep my miles at 15.5 - 16 minutes miles. I had an Apple watch that tracked my HR but I killed it off earlier this year from dropping it and cracking it. But I have a decent grasp on my HR now so I know when I'm pushing really hard at 160 or above because I slow down and struggle more.

Sometimes my schedule only allows one ruck a week so my question is, should I push hard for aerobic fitness or just cruise at 15-16 minute miles in reference to what Zap and others stated?
I don’t think anyone can tell you what you should do, because it depends on your goal. The key is to recognize that different paces work different energy systems. If your goal is to build your aerobic base, to do that you need to work 30 - 1 hr sessions at your aerobic heart rate/zone 2/conversational pace. If you feel that you have a sufficient aerobic base, then to build muscular endurance you should ruck uphill (or I suppose flat if you can’t find an uphill, but you could use step ups or a step mill), at a pace such that burning in your legs (localized muscular fatigue) is the limiting factor, rather than your breathing. That’s a muscular endurance workout.

My guess is the rucks at 160 bpm are anaerobic, and it would behoove you to slow down unless you’re specifically doing an anaerobic workout on top of an adequate aerobic base.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
My guess is the rucks at 160 bpm are anaerobic, and it would behoove you to slow down unless you’re specifically doing an anaerobic workout on top of an adequate aerobic base.
Thanks for the response. I generally don't stay at 160 except for a couple elevation changes on my various routes but I probably stay in zone 2. When I had my Apple watch, I usually stayed at 140-150 for my ruck workouts. I'm learning a lot from you all. Thanks for the advice.

schmalzy

WKR
Old school boxers did early morning roadwork fasted. At least most of them did. For pros, about six to seven miles seemed to be a sweet spot. It was roadwork, not running. Roadwork is not running, roadwork involves running. It also involves back pedaling, side stepping, shuffling, shadow boxing, walking, and sprinting.

Many old school boxers had a great aerobic base. They were able to fight 15 rounds and flurry in the late rounds. Much of that capability was also due to the fight specific workout done later in the day, of course, but all felt those early mornings on the road on an empty stomach was valuable.

Makes plenty sense to me. I only have my own anecdotal experience to discuss, but I’ve always been able to shed weight consistently but running/jogging on an empty stomach for 45-75 mins. For me, once I hit 90 mins or so, I do a lot a better with a gel/sugar and can then keep going for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTNFSH

FNG
Great thread fellas.

I switched back to black coffee six months ago and started my days fasting until about Noon. Running for 30-60 minutes, then rucking for 90-120 minutes the following morning. The latter includes hill repeats. Usually two times per week.

I don't really follow a plan; I just kind of rolled into it. I also include plyo box work: 200 step-ups and 10x10 squats with a 60-lb pack once a week. Those three endeavors slimmed me down 15 lbs from 190 to 175. I feel great, albeit a little tired from the lack of calories. I'm adding calories back in slowly as the amount of work ramps up a little more each week toward elk season.

I can definitely tell my body is adapting to less calories and getting faster on my runs with a lower HR. It's been a fun process.