Which Factory 223?

• Ruger American Gen2

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Howa Mini

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
All this success on game with the 77gr TMK made me realize that I don't have a 223 bolt gun. And after reading some of the key points of the thread over in the firearms section, I have the urge to fill that void. I just want to make it easy and buy a factory rifle. I've narrowed my search down to two contenders: The Ruger American Gen2 and the Howa Mini. Both have the 8 twist I'm looking for for that bullet. I'm hoping someone else has one of those rifles and shoots that bullet and can give me a recommendation. I appreciate your help in advance.

Xnoheros

FNG
I’ve got a Gen 1 RAR and it shoots it like a hot damn. $ per enjoyment it’s my favourite rifle, and my go-to for almost everything now

nobody

WKR
If I was forced to only choose between these 2, I’d choose the ruger.

But why isn’t Tikka on your list? Superior in every quantifiable way to both the options you’ve listed above. Fit, finish, function, reliability, trigger, long term aftermarket support, reputation, quality, they’re all a step above. You can find a blued model for $750 right now, or do some digging around and get them for sub $700 with a little leg work. Why not entertain that?

OP
M

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
If I was forced to only choose between these 2, I’d choose the ruger.

But why isn’t Tikka on your list? Superior in every quantifiable way to both the options you’ve listed above. Fit, finish, function, reliability, trigger, long term aftermarket support, reputation, quality, they’re all a step above. You can find a blued model for $750 right now, or do some digging around and get them for sub $700 with a little leg work. Why not entertain that?
I did consider them. Tikka makes a great rifle, no doubt, but I'm just not sure what value I'd be getting for the extra money. If it were up to me, I'd buy another Savage. Most of my rifles I've built myself off of Savage actions. But their twist rates are too slow for my needs. I also want to make the purchase through Cabelas (Ive got GC's to use), and they don't have that model Tikka in that price range. I feel that one of the above rifles will kill a deer just as dead as that Tikka would.

nobody

WKR
I did consider them. Tikka makes a great rifle, no doubt, but I'm just not sure what value I'd be getting for the extra money. If it were up to me, I'd buy another Savage. Most of my rifles I've built myself off of Savage actions. But their twist rates are too slow for my needs. I also want to make the purchase through Cabelas (Ive got GC's to use), and they don't have that model Tikka in that price range. I feel that one of the above rifles will kill a deer just as dead as that Tikka would.
Have cabelas price match. Get an emailed online quote from grabagun or some place like it and take it with and ask them to price match, they’ll do it.

The value you get is in the mechanical reliability and function of the rifle. @Ryan Avery said it on the podcast with Robby denning, “Tikkas are made to kill Russians.” They just flat work. Their triggers don’t freeze up, they don’t gum up in crap conditions, their barrels are high quality, they feed reliably every freaking time, you just don’t ever have to dick with a tikka to make it work.

Honestly, with the price increase on the ruger American gen 2’s over the originals I’m not sure I can see any value in them anymore. They were a great option at $399.99, and I owned/used one as my primary hunting rifle for several years. But not at $6-$700. So your point is moot there with the “value.” My experience with Howa is limited, but I’m not impressed. I had one that never shot better than 2.5-3 MOA no matter what, and my brother has a weatherby vanguard (just a howa in a Monte Carlo stock) that shoots decent. So I’m 50/50 on positive experiences with Howa. But I sure read lots of stories of having to screw with them A LOT to get them to work. I’m just not sure either one of them is what I would call a “good value” based on what I’ve seen.

OP
M

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
Have cabelas price match. Get an emailed online quote from grabagun or some place like it and take it with and ask them to price match, they’ll do it.

The value you get is in the mechanical reliability and function of the rifle. @Ryan Avery said it on the podcast with Robby denning, “Tikkas are made to kill Russians.” They just flat work. Their triggers don’t freeze up, they don’t gum up in crap conditions, their barrels are high quality, they feed reliably every freaking time, you just don’t ever have to dick with a tikka to make it work.

Honestly, with the price increase on the ruger American gen 2’s over the originals I’m not sure I can see any value in them anymore. They were a great option at $399.99, and I owned/used one as my primary hunting rifle for several years. But not at $6-$700. So your point is moot there with the “value.” My experience with Howa is limited, but I’m not impressed. I had one that never shot better than 2.5-3 MOA no matter what, and my brother has a weatherby vanguard (just a howa in a Monte Carlo stock) that shoots decent. So I’m 50/50 on positive experiences with Howa. But I sure read lots of stories of having to screw with them A LOT to get them to work. I’m just not sure either one of them is what I would call a “good value” based on what I’ve seen.
The only Tikka available at my local store is $1,100, and for the $300 out of picket that the American will cost me, again, I just don't see the value in the Tikka. I'm not shooting 3,000 rounds/year; I'll be lucky to shoot 60 out of this new gun per year. I don't need to kill Russians, I need to kill one, maybe three, PA deer per season. If they had the t3X for $750 where I can put my hands on it first, it would more of a contender.

waspocrew

WKR
Out of the two options presented, I’d go Ruger. The American rifles actually are pretty accurate. Smooth and refined? No, but at that price point, I wouldn’t expect it.

Sure the Tikka is nice, but if it’s extra money you don’t want to spend, but the Ruger and be happy.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Most “used” Tikkas for sale at box stores and pawn shops have maybe 40-80 bullets through them. Not even broken in yet. I’ve bought multiple stainless, blued, and “premium” tikka models for around $400-$800.

The only Tikka available at my local store is $1,100, and for the $300 out of picket that the American will cost me, again, I just don't see the value in the Tikka. I'm not shooting 3,000 rounds/year; I'll be lucky to shoot 60 out of this new gun per year. I don't need to kill Russians, I need to kill one, maybe three, PA deer per season. If they had the t3X for $750 where I can put my hands on it first, it would more of a contender.