factory ammo? 6.5 PRC

bobinmi

WKR
I just picked up a new to me Savage Ultralight in 6.5 PRC sitting in an MDT XLR chassis. I'm brand new to the 6.5 prc, and with the addition of our first foster daughter I know that I'm not going to have time for load development this year. I'm planning to just pick up a couple boxes of 3 types of factory ammo and go with whatever ends up with the best 5 shot group for this season. What options have come out well from everyone elses experience.

B23

WKR
Shot both the 143 ELD-X and 147 ELD-M Hornady factory ammo in my CA 6.5 PRC. Both, shot extremely well with the 147 ELD-M ammo shooting a little better but they both shot under .5

Prices on Hornady 143 or 147 ammo range from $75 to I saw some 147 on the shelf a couple weeks ago for $48 which was a big surprise.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Whatever you can find is going to be your best option..... Sportsmans warehouse in Grand Junction CO had some the other day if anyone is around the area. I believe it was $50 a box

I just picked up a new to me Savage Ultralight in 6.5 PRC sitting in an MDT XLR chassis. I'm brand new to the 6.5 prc, and with the addition of our first foster daughter I know that I'm not going to have time for load development this year. I'm planning to just pick up a couple boxes of 3 types of factory ammo and go with whatever ends up with the best 5 shot group for this season. What options have come out well from everyone elses experience.

This season? This hunting season? I know a lot of people want to choose THE most accurate load for their rifle. I wouldn't select a match bullet as a hunting load unless it had been well vetted in testing. Some match bullets have developed a great reputation for game animal hunting. Others, not so much. The Hornady 147 shoots very well out of my CA Mesa 6.5 PRC. A 140 grain Ballistic Tip not as well. Well enough though, so it gets the nod. Check Shooter's Pro Shop regularly. Bear in mind that 6.5 PRC ammo can be very hard to come by.

OP
B

bobinmi

WKR
Yup, this hunting season. Rifle doesn't start here until Nov. 15. We also don't have the demand that you boys have out west. Lots of the shops around here have a decent slection.
This season? This hunting season? I know a lot of people want to choose THE most accurate load for their rifle. I wouldn't select a match bullet as a hunting load unless it had been well vetted in testing. Some match bullets have developed a great reputation for game animal hunting. Others, not so much. The Hornady 147 shoots very well out of my CA Mesa 6.5 PRC. A 140 grain Ballistic Tip not as well. Well enough though, so it gets the nod. Check Shooter's Pro Shop regularly. Bear in mind that 6.5 PRC ammo can be very hard to come by

CoStick

WKR
Was in a sportsman warehouse today, they had Barnes 130 ttsx, federal, and two other brands in 6.5 prc. Was surprised they had that much.

Unckebob

WKR
Yup, this hunting season. Rifle doesn't start here until Nov. 15. We also don't have the demand that you boys have out west. Lots of the shops around here have a decent slection.
I would pick something up now, take it to the range, see what groups and adjust your scope.

You don't want to be caught buying 3/4 of a box from a friend like I
had to during the Pandemic.

Keith_PDX

FNG
It would be nice if Berger started selling ammo again. Their unobtainable 156gr EOL is my favorite. Hornady ELD-X 143 a close second.