Extreme Elk/Elk Hunter Magazine Merger

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
I received an email, as I am sure a few of you did, Extreme Elk Magazine is merging with Elk Hunter Magazine. I have been an Xtrm Elk subscriber since the first issue, but I really don't know much about Elk Hunter. I have always enjoyed Xtrm Elk and their dedication to DIY/public ground hunts. Corey Jacobsen seems to be a top notch guy, and has always paid very close attention to the satisfaction of the subscribers. It stated that Corey and Dirk will contribute to to Elk Hunter, but I am interested to see how long they will stay committed after the merge and if other contributors, such as Randy Newberg, will be involved.

Does anyone have any knowledge of both magazines? How much will we see Extreme Elk change? Thoughts...?

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Chris Denham was thick in the AZ SFW attempt to grab 350 AZ draw tags for their org a few years ago. They would use the tags to mirror the expo and auction money making enterprise of UT SFW. When the heat got turned up, the sponsor of the Bill bailed, and SFW then went to the Governor in an attempt to get the tags thru emergency legislation. To his credit, Denham did step back after a while. Denham owns Elk Hunter mag.

jmez

WKR
I think Elk Hunter is a much better magazine. I dropped Extreme Elk after the first year. That said, I am not a fan of the DIY hunting stories. They are all similar and really don't offer much. Elk Hunter dedicates more space to tips, tactics, gear, conditioning etc than Extreme Elk did. Elk Hunter has the stories, just not as many. I don't even read them.

I hope the format of Elk Hunter doesn't change with them merging.

I subscribe to both, and also to Western Hunter. I just renewed my subscription, and have not received the e-mail concerning the merge.
I suppose they will combine the subscriptions, and I will get the mag for two years instead of just one. I personally like any magazine that is about Elk hunting, even though lots of the articles are about Archery hunting and I don't bow hunt.

I have been subscribing to Elk Hunter & Western Hunter magazines since the start. I would recommend them to any serious DIY western hunter. The gear reviews are excellent. I keep them all and constantly look back at them when I am thinking about purchasing something. If I want a new spotting scope I look back through the magazines to find a review. I do my own research as well, but pretty much every time I buy the top thing they recommend. It has not let me down to this point. Both magazines give great reviews and cover some different price ranges as well. They also have other information like tips and tactics on backpacking, fitness, and hunting while using horses. Eastman's Hunting and Bow hunting Journals are great as well. Both shows are great too. Of course I like Western Hunter better. I love their commitment to DIY!

ktowncamo

WKR
Perhaps too personal to ask, but what do you do when you're sitting on the throne if you don't have a hunting mag?

Chris Denham was thick in the AZ SFW attempt to grab 350 AZ draw tags for their org a few years ago. They would use the tags to mirror the expo and auction money making enterprise of UT SFW. When the heat got turned up, the sponsor of the Bill bailed, and SFW then went to the Governor in an attempt to get the tags thru emergency legislation. To his credit, Denham did step back after a while. Denham owns Elk Hunter mag.

Good to know. I didn't know he was part of that tag grab.