Extended Stay in Riggins Idaho and Wilderness Units

Hello All,

If there is anyone who wants to share a pointer on a good experience to seek out, a hunting tip, some time outdoors, or even just a conversation and a drink - reach out! I’ll be staying in Riggins for 5 weeks Sept 11th- Oct 15th, but might show up one week earlier if I can get my act together.

I decided to take advantage of my new “work from home” situation, dip into the savings and live out of Riggins for a few weeks before my Mule deer hunt in unit 27 mid/late October. I plan to work four day weeks and enjoy three day weekends outdoors. I have a unit 27 Mule deer tag, wolf tags, and reduced cost wilderness units lion & bear tags.

While based out of Riggins, I’d prioritize wolf and travel further away to do it but figured I’ll hit units 14, 19, 20, and 20a where my wilderness bear or lion tag are valid unless I come up with a better idea.

I'm a 35 year old lifelong PA hunter who just started backcountry backpack hunting out west. I'm into my third year of visiting Idaho for Frank Church Wilderness flyin DIY hunts Spring/Fall. In the past few years our flyins out of McCall have been delayed and I've day hunted down Big Salmon Rd to where it dead ends at the Vinegar Creek boat ramp. Crossed the wind river foot bridge last year and went north a bit.

I don't know what I don't know… happy to hear from others who have spent time in the area to help me make the most out of my trip.

Thanks in advance,
-Nick

Back in 75, I rode from a campground north of New Meadows cross country to trails to the Rapid River and then into the Seven Devils and back over 10 days. Open country, some good trails, big sheep flocks and few people.

Be careful - some of that country is pretty snakey. If you aren't careful you might wake up with an unwelcome bed partner. The high country was fine.

Our loop was just short of 100 miles and on horseback. There is more country than you have time or the strength. Enjoy!!

Back in 75, I rode from a campground north of New Meadows cross country to trails to the Rapid River and then into the Seven Devils and back over 10 days. Open country, some good trails, big sheep flocks and few people.

Be careful - some of that country is pretty snakey. If you aren't careful you might wake up with an unwelcome bed partner. The high country was fine.

Our loop was just short of 100 miles and on horseback. There is more country than you have time or the strength. Enjoy!!
When I was a youngin in the Scouts, we'd do a 2 week trip every summer through the Devils. Start at Black Lake and get picked up at Windy Saddle at the end. Awesome experience for a young fella!

OP
N
Thanks for chiming in fellas and those that reached out in PMs. Getting damn excited to start the adventure and drive this weekend!

2rocky

WKR
A few years ago I was in Riggins for a steelhead fishing trip and was warned about one of the female servers at the Seven Devils Steakhouse. The warning was that her boyfriend was the "One-Punch Knockout Champion" of Riggins.

When I saw her I wasn't quite sure what would cause someone to step over the line of propriety with that particular female, but perhaps an extended stay in the area might change one's perspective.

I hope it doesn't come to that for you....

A few years ago I was in Riggins for a steelhead fishing trip and was warned about one of the female servers at the Seven Devils Steakhouse. The warning was that her boyfriend was the "One-Punch Knockout Champion" of Riggins.

When I saw her I wasn't quite sure what would cause someone to step over the line of propriety with that particular female, but perhaps an extended stay in the area might change one's perspective.

Winters are long there! Don't judge!! 😂

OP
N

Good tip :) I should be able to stay out of that kinda trouble. I've found I'm particular to the company and beers at Summerville's instead!

Looks like you are using your time wisely!
Thanks man! Done a lot of driving around too. Still haven't made it up to hike and see Seven Devils yet some weeknight, but I'll get there soon!

BluMtn

WKR
Instagram won't let me see your pictures so I don't know what you are driving, but a fun trip would be going up the Salmon and going up French Creek Grade and going to Burgdorf hot springs and then Secesh and if you have time Warren. Or go north and go to Florence and on up to the Gospel Hump. I spend a lot of time in that area and love it.

OP
N
Instagram won't let me see your pictures so I don't know what you are driving, but a fun trip would be going up the Salmon and going up French Creek Grade and going to Burgdorf hot springs and then Secesh and if you have time Warren. Or go north and go to Florence and on up to the Gospel Hump. I spend a lot of time in that area and love it.
Hmm, bummer on the pics, I'll have to look at it next week. Driving a full size pickup - Thanks for the tips on heading in each area. French Creek Rd on into McCall is partially shut down for fires and my wilderness tags don't work there. Might go for a drive some night tho anyhow. Hot Spring sounds cool.

I've been heading up Alison creek some weekdays and one weekend. Cool area and drive but haven't made it all the way to Florence yet.