Experience with Sitka Scree heavyweight hooded jacket?

Lobo525

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I recently purchased Sitkas Scree heavyweight hooded Jacket. I was curious as to what it was since I couldn't find almost anything on it anywhere. I was originally on the website to purchase the original heavyweight hoody. But saw that the Scree was on sale and opted to take a chance and try it out. When it arrived It seemed like a nice piece. I have not owned the OG heavyweight but I have owned the Fanatic and the SG Helio. I would place this piece in between the 2 closer to the fanatic but with what seemed like a more durable exterior.

The inside fleece was soft and seemed like it would be warm and the fit was true to size a little short in the front as it barely made it to my belt line but that has been a constant for most my pieces in sitka.

So yesterday I finally wore it out, not into the backcountry but just as an everyday jacket to get some real world experience and see how it performed in cold weather and wind. I went our to lunch to small mom and pop shop that has outdoor seating. The jacket kept me nice and comfortable with just the core merino 120 underneath in Temps in the low 40's with some mild wind. No complaints on the performance of it.

My issue came when I got home and took the jacket off. Come to find out the seams where the hardface fleece attached to the stretch panel were unraveling and pulillimg and coming undone at an alarming rate. The stretch panel had also some major pilling. I did not do anything strenuous and did not.expose this piece to anything rough, jagged, sharp or anything of that matter. I simply went to lunch and then walked around the mainstream a but. I am severely disappointed with this piece. For using it once and it having this much damage on it I have no confidence this can perform in the backcountry. The durability of this piece has been horrible in my experience. I now regret going with this over the OG heavyweight.This is a poor representation of the quality and durability of sitka that I have come to know and love. 90% of my gear is sitka and have not had any issues that were not warranted with any of my other pieces. Even my Ambient hoody that seems like a more fragile material then this hard face fleece is in better condition and I've put that thing through the ringer.

I'm wondering if this is a one off and just squeezed by QC or if other people's experience with this piece has been similar? If any of you own this piece I'd love to hear your experience with it.

I would normally reach out to Sitka and have a conversation about this with them. But I had another negative experience with their customer support this week with a whole other incident I which they cancelled one of my order for lack of inventory although they had it available on their site and allowed my payment to go through. Then once they cancelled the order I was not refunded my money. I reached out and was told to just wait until the order expired which could take up to a week and that after that happened I should see my funds back in my account soon after. So I don't have high hopes they would resolve this issue for me any better then the last encounter.

But to have this much wear and tear after what I can on figure is the material rubbing on itself while I was walking this is very disappointing.20240210_172153.jpg20240210_172159.jpg20240210_172217.jpg20240210_172249.jpg20240210_172255.jpg20240210_172341.jpg20240210_172346.jpg20240210_172351.jpg20240210_172510.jpg20240210_172522.jpg

Last edited:
Any update? Is it still falling apart? Did you talk to customer service yet? I really like the look of the piece as a daily driver and the current 40% sale plus a coupon code makes it enticing, but this horror story gives me pause...

OP
Lobo525

Lobo525

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I sent it in on a warranty claim. And it got sent back couple days later in the exact same shape with no explanation or feedback. I reached our to CS a second time they told me pilling was normal and didn't affect function. I sent pictures of the stitching coming apart and then received no further responses. They pretty much just said your SOL that's your problem. It's a great piece I would of loved to take it out on a hunt or as a daily driver but with the amount of damage on it I don't feel comfortable taking it out into the backcountry and it just looks raggedy taking it out to dinner or what not so it's probably going to be used as a pajama layer or for work around the house. From what I saw it looked like this is the sitka version of the arrowhead version of this jacket so I had high hopes but I was very disappointed with the overall experience and luckily I got it on sale or else I would be really PO'ed with the lack of customer support.
Any update? Is it still falling apart? Did you talk to customer service yet? I really like the look of the piece as a daily driver and the current 40% sale plus a coupon code makes it enticing, but this horror story gives me pause...

OP
Lobo525

Lobo525

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Not to mention I left a review warning others of my experience. That never seemed to make on their site.

The allure of this jacket on sale + discount and free shipping was too much... I got one last week and have pretty much lived in it for the last few days around home, at the office, a little archery, and outside shoveling snow. I've had zero issues with piling, stitching, etc., I think you have a case for customer support if its still disappointing you

OP
Lobo525

Lobo525

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
They actually just reached out 2 days ago and said they were offering me a 1 time replacement. They're sending another one out this week hopefully I have better luck with this one. It's a great piece I loved it as well.