Exped Ultra 7R vs Nemo Tensor Extreme 8.5R

I'm looking at the Exped Ultra 7R vs Nemo Tensor Extreme 8.5R for my new do it all sleeping pad.

The Exped 7R has an R value of 7 and weighs in at 28 oz. The Nemo Tensor extreme has an R value of 8.5 and weighs in at 22 oz.

Pack down size is fairly similar between the two. Both R values are really high. Exped is 3.5 inches thick and Nemo is 3.5 inches thick. Exped is 20D material and Nemo is 40D.

I'm a side sleeper. Which one would you pick and why?

Last edited:
picked the exped last month. should be quieter, and that extra .75 in thickness is important to me as a side sleeper. Would have prefered a 4+" thickness. Because they're closing out the exped ultra 7, it was also like $100 cheaper than the nemo.

picked the exped last month. should be quieter, and that extra .75 in thickness is important to me as a side sleeper. Would have prefered a 4+" thickness. Because they're closing out the exped ultra 7, it was also like $100 cheaper than the nemo.
Isn’t Nemo thicker according to OP? Reading his description I would say Nemo because I hate when hip or shoulder touches ground on side.

Bbrinks

FNG
I’ve only taken the Exped out once since I got it a couple months ago but I had no issues touching the ground sleeping on my side. It’s also a comfortable pad but I think my regular insulated tensor feels a little better

Drenalin

WKR
The Nemo has a 40d bottom vs 20d for the Exped, however you can probably still find the reg wide Exped for $140; you’re not going to see a price anywhere near that for the Nemo. Some might have concerns about down inside the Exped. I got the Exped when they went on sale. Only four nights on it so far, but I like it.