Exped Synmat Winterlite Pad Review

jwb300

WKR
Nice thanks for posting. I am keen to hear some reviews of the Downmat Winterlite which is much warmer with an R value of 8

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Looks like that new Exped is right at the same weight as the current Xtherm for a LW, and the new Xtherm Max didn't change much but added 3oz. I guess I'll be keeping my current Xtherm.

OP
Ramshead

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
5MilesBack

The extra 3 oz. is due to the new rectangular version. The mummy shaped version remains the same weight. I sold my large Xlite cause I prefer rectangular mats. My indecision on which new mat to buy is due to the different fabric weights between the Winterlite (20D) or the likely more robust 50D in the Max. Also the proven reliability of the Xtherm vs the brand new unproven Winterlite mat. The R values are also a small consideration, 4.9 Winterlite vs 5.7 Max. On the positive side for the Exped, it is 3.5 inches thick vs 2.5 for the Xtherm. Lastly the Xtherm has a limited lifetime warranty vs a 2 year Winterlite warranty.

Last edited:

jwb300

WKR
The winterlite downmat has a R value of 8 at 17.4oz and the Synmat has a R of 6.

http://sectionhiker.com/outdoor-retailer-summer-2014-trade-show-gear-orgy/

Downmat Winterlite: 17.4 ounces, R-Value 8.0
Synmat Winterlite: 13.9 ounces, R-Value 6.0
Synmat Hyperlite: 11.6 ounces, R-Value 3.1

For the extra thickness and comfort I would go the exped. I have the current downmat and it is excellent. Extremely comfortable and warm.

OP
Ramshead

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
jwb300

Apparently the R-value of the Synmat Winterlite has been revised downwards. Here is a quote from the Trailspace website: "Update: The Synmat Winterlite's R-value is now listed at 4.9 after Exped's independent testing by EMPA. Thanks to Ashleigh for following up on this important spec."
Overall it will be a tough decision for me as both the Winterlite and Max have their pros and cons.

Rizzy

WKR
I'm real interested in the winterlite, but 20D really concerns me. I don't know how that will hold up for hunting.

im very excited for this pad. i currently use the qcore SL so the would be a 5oz saving for me. i have not been willing to sacrifice the inch of thickness to move to an xtherm.

jwb300

WKR
jwb300

Apparently the R-value of the Synmat Winterlite has been revised downwards. Here is a quote from the Trailspace website: "Update: The Synmat Winterlite's R-value is now listed at 4.9 after Exped's independent testing by EMPA. Thanks to Ashleigh for following up on this important spec."
Overall it will be a tough decision for me as both the Winterlite and Max have their pros and cons.

Thanks Ramshead - interesting that they would release it to trade shows then back down the rating.

OP
Ramshead

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
Kudos to Exped for submitting its gear to independent testing. If only all mattress and sleeping bag manufacturers did so. It truly is buyer beware with some of these type products.

Beendare

WKR
I'm real interested in the winterlite, but 20D really concerns me. I don't know how that will hold up for hunting.
Yeah, it should. I've had the other UL pads with ultra light fabric leak- some on the first inflate and i always go back to my Exped Synmatt which is a little heavier but is a bit more bulletproof.

n2horns

WKR
Exped makes good gear. I have used the LW Synmat UL7 and now using all year round the LW Downmt UL7.

Daniel_M

WKR
I've used several Exped pads over the past 4 years each one had internal baffles delaminate. That was my only complaint. Hopefully they've gotten their process down.