Expanding your sleeping bag's range : bag liner or over bag which is better ?

I always carry a silk bag liner in conjunction with my bag (in all seasons). Winter I make sure to add socks and stocking cap. Try to match my bag to expected temps.

ddigman3

FNG
I use a thin cotton liner from sea to summit in my 15 degree Nemo Disco and that will take me down to low 20's no problem sleeping in my boxers with a hat to keep my head warm and I definitely run and sleep cold. I am looking at upgrading to a silk liner to reduce the funk after a week sleeping in the cotton can get a little nasty. May also pick up the sea to summit thermolite reactor liners to get me down into single digits for those colder nights as well.

I do not have any experience with overbags or blankets even overtop but I would worry about compressing the down as mentioned above.

Both if extreme.

One (whichever feels better). Outter protects from ground junk and from rain frost. And when ya leave for day you can seal in outter bivy in case wind blows your stuff up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've often relied on using two bags as my winter set up since it gives me a little bit more flexibility in choosing what sleeping set up I want to bring from the early to mid season.

If someone is looking into doing a sleeping bag/quilt combo, I picked up Big Agnes's Lost Ranger 3N1 UL, which is an ultralight sidewinder sleeping bag that goes into a quilt that cinches to a sleeping bag. It's a pretty good design, but the zippers are kinda bad. Putting zippers on a quilt feels like it's adding unnecessary weight and complexity.