Exo k4 5000 Side Pocket load out?

Zaubr306

FNG
Hey,

Just had a quick question for all of you running the k4 5000 pack. What do you put in your long side zip pockets? I currently put my tent poles in one side and am trying to figure out the best way to use the other one. I don’t use a spotting scope (which is what I bet most ppl put in there).

Appreciate the insight!

DeePow

FNG
I’ve only used the 5K for overnights but I put my Argali Rincon, pole, sleeping pad, and a stash bag with charger / cords on one side and the other held a stash bag with water filters, first aid kit, and socks encase a stalk arouse

JNDEER

WKR
I don't have a K4 5000, however all of EXO bags over the years have had the same basic layout.

For day trips: I would divide my first aid kit, game bags, knives, saw This would fill about 1/3 of the bottom and leave the main bag open for rain gear, clothing layers, food, etc.

backpack trips: I would do the same and add my stove, fuel, water filter, extra water storage bags, tent and air pad usually all in the side tubes. Not sure how much of that will fit now in the upgraded zip version, but that's what I would shoot for. Always trying to keep both sides close to the same weight.

You guessed it. Spotter on one side then miscellaneous stuff on other like water bladder, rain coat, tent pole,

If I was not using a spotter I would only us them if I need extra storage. For instance if I was in an extended trip 7-8 days I may put my tent in one side zip and rain gear and puffy coat in other. But if it’s only 3-4 day trip even without spotter I always tripod up my binos I will out tripod in one zip pocket and water bladder and rain gear in other only for was I’d access.

Like others have said it’s a good idea to get equal weight in both but I normally don’t and then just usually pack heavier stuff to one side in main bag to offset.