Exo K3 Frame VS Stone Glacier XCurve

North

FNG
I've been using a Kifaru Duplex Lite but after running it for 2 weeks this season and not loving it I picked up a new Xcurve. X Curve seems to fit me well and was noticeably more comfortable on my back than the SG EVO frame, but the new Exo bags have me intrigued. Now I'm debating whether if I go for an Exo bag if I should try their frame as well or just use the Exo bag on the XCurve if possible. There are some comparisons around with the old Exo K2 frame, and it seems the Xcurve usually comes out ahead, but has anyone compared the 2019 Xcurve to the new K3 frame? Rather not run a Frankenpack if not necessary. Thanks!

Reactions: GLB

md126

WKR
Personally, I wouldn’t frankenpack. I’ve considered it but think it’s wise to run the bags/frames as they were designed.

Anyway, the X Curve is way better than the K2 under load. The K3 is a huge step up tho and probably just as good as the X Curve. Haven’t loaded mine up heavy yet but it’s def better

I was thinking if trying an Exo K3 just because I love their bags so much. However, my X-Curve frame is just so comfortable it's probably not worth it?

Last edited:
OP
North

North

FNG
Exo arrived yesterday, haven’t had a chance to take it out for a hike yet but I loaded all 3 of my frames up with 50 pound sandbags and compared them back to back and the Exo is noticeably more comfortable upon first impression.

Exo arrived yesterday, haven’t had a chance to take it out for a hike yet but I loaded all 3 of my frames up with 50 pound sandbags and compared them back to back and the Exo is noticeably more comfortable upon first impression.

Interested to see your results

Yes, please report back. Like I have said in other posts only reason I went away from Exo k2 was it kept sliding down my back. The Stone glacier stays exactly where it is suppose to. Curious how the k3 does as you do more testing.

Mable300

Lil-Rokslider
Received the new K3 in sept just in time for an early Wy deer hunt. Choose the 3200 bag, and I am very pleased with it. Spiked out a few times from camp, pack approx 45lbs +\-. Pack was super comfy, no issues. Was runnin mystery ranch crew cab before, not saying MR was bad, jus didn’t suite my needs.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider

K3 was noticeable more comfortable than all of them including the SG or just more comfortable than the k2?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
North

North

FNG
K3 was noticeable more comfortable than all of them including the SG or just more comfortable than the k2?

Thanks

The K3 was noticeably more comfortable than the Kifaru or XCurve just trying it on with 50 lbs. I’ve never had a K2 so I can’t compare it. I’ve been sick but I’ll try to get out for a hike with each bag with 50 and 100 pounds and report back.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
The K3 was noticeably more comfortable than the Kifaru or XCurve just trying it on with 50 lbs. I’ve never had a K2 so I can’t compare it. I’ve been sick but I’ll try to get out for a hike with each bag with 50 and 100 pounds and report back.

Awesome thank you. And wow, it seems like everyone is in agreement that the kifaru and SG are the best for heavy loads, it’s nice to hear the k3 is at least in contention because I just bought one haha but also because I think the Exo bag layout is the far and away the best.

OP
North

North

FNG
Awesome thank you. And wow, it seems like everyone is in agreement that the kifaru and SG are the best for heavy loads, it’s nice to hear the k3 is at least in contention because I just bought one haha but also because I think the Exo bag layout is the far and away the best.

Yeah the K2 didn’t seem to have as glowing reviews as far as frame comfort as the Kifaru or SG. That’s why I was asking if anyone knew if the K3 was better than the K2 but I just ended up buying one to try haha. The lumbar padding is much softer on the K3 than the other 2 so maybe things will change once I put 100 in it and not just 50. But just trying them all on with 50 and seeing what it feels like the K3 is most comfortable on my frame.

Last edited:
put another 40 lbs in them. i agree i like the xcurve a lot more than the k2. with my curved back the k2 slipped while the xcurve stays put. i also like how the SG load sling in the shelf helps the load stay higher up on my back and not sag

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I would be curious why you didn't like the Kifaru and SG frames...that's about a first! Did you take the time to get them adjusted so they fit correctly? Most people rave about the comfort of the belt and stability of both of those frames ....especially with extreme loads.

OP
North

North

FNG
I would be curious why you didn't like the Kifaru and SG frames...that's about a first! Did you take the time to get them adjusted so they fit correctly? Most people rave about the comfort of the belt and stability of both of those frames ....especially with extreme loads.

I didn’t say I didn’t like the SG frame, I bought the SG to replace the Kifaru because after wearing it for 2+ weeks with light loads it was giving me neck pain and kept sliding down. I bought the SG because it seemed to fit my back profile better. I then bought the Exo because I liked the bag design. I adjusted the Kifaru according to their videos and the Stone Glacier was adjusted for me by their salesperson in their showroom. When the 3 are loaded with 50 pounds and compared back to back I find the Exo most comfortable. I haven’t had time to do any more extensive testing than that yet. I’ll be sure the packs are all adjusted correctly and loaded up to 100 and then I’ll report back.

Jimss

WKR
From your explanation I would say you didn't have the Kifaru adjusted properly or you didn't buy the correct size frame if it was somehow "sliding" with a light load? If fit properly there is no way that it can do that! What do you mean by sliding? It should be rock solid if properly fit and adjusted with any type of load? There are sternum straps as well as multiple belt and shoulder harness adjustments that keep the frame and straps secure even with 100 lb loads? Your comments about Kifaru and SG are very vague!

Good for you if the Exo fits your particular body better....but I'm super skeptical if it will handle extreme use and bulky/heavy loads like Kifaru or SG.

OP
North

North

FNG
From your explanation I would say you didn't have the Kifaru adjusted properly or you didn't buy the correct size frame if it was somehow "sliding" with a light load? If fit properly there is no way that it can do that! What do you mean by sliding? It should be rock solid if properly fit and adjusted with any type of load? There are sternum straps as well as multiple belt and shoulder harness adjustments that keep the frame and straps secure even with 100 lb loads? Your comments about Kifaru and SG are very vague!

Good for you if the Exo fits your particular body better....but I'm super skeptical if it will handle extreme use and bulky/heavy loads like Kifaru or SG.
I have all 3 frames in my house right now and 1 is more comfortable for me. That’s all I’m saying. I didn’t see the need to go into great detail about what wasn’t working for me about the Kifaru because I figured “it didn’t feel comfortable for me” would be a satisfactory explanation for most reading. I’ve said several times that I will report back once I get a chance to test the packs for longer periods with more weight and was careful to point out all I had done was try them on with 50 pounds back to back. I’m not claiming to have done a thorough comparison anywhere.

I currently own a Kifaru fulcrum, native, quarter panel, guide lid, pouch set, t shirt, hat, and frame. I’ve previously owned all sorts of Kifaru accessories, a reckoning, a cargo panel, and a woodsman. I’m active in the Kifaru Facebook group. The only packs I’ve ever actually used on backpack hunts are Kifarus. So in no way am I trying to bash anyone or say one is better than the other. I’m just being honest about which frame was more comfortable FOR ME, in the limited comparison I did.

Jimss

WKR
What is comfortable in your living room with 50 lbs may be a lot different than at 10,000' on a 45 degree, rocky slope after 10 miles of hiking for 5 straight days! Also, which frame and bag are going to hold up after 5 or 10 years of super harsh use?

I can understand what you are saying but it is super vague without a better description and real life field experience and comparison of all 3. All of us are looking forward to a true to life field report with a lot better description and details.

md126

WKR
If the pack isn't comfortable in your living room I highly doubt it will be comfortable at 10,000ft on a rocky slope, etc.... Some guys may want to take that chance but not me.

If the EXO (or SG, Kifaru) is more comfortable for certain body types who are we to say otherwise? He's the guy carrying the weight, not us