Ewe Hunt Opinions

I paid $2500 for my Ewe tag, please big bucks for a guide. Any legal Ewe within 400-500 yards will be in my freezer. and she's getting mounted too. That's if I make it to 13,000 feet.

mulecreek

FNG
Last year I took a NR with a ewe tag into a Wilderness area in Wyo under the resident guides licenses. When this tag was proposed I was, and still am, opposed. I understand the logic behind the tag just don't think there is sound enough data to justify the tag. I opposed it at the Commission meeting but in the end the tag was approved so when a lucky hunter reached out for help I was happy to help out. In the end the hunt was a bunch of fun. Much harder than I had anticipated. We got it done in a couple days. He was the only NR to fill his ewe tag in this unit in 2022. Overall, including resident harvest, success was very low. I assume most thought they would be able to take one from the main road. This was not the case. This year G&F increased the ewe tags and lengthened the season to help increase ewe harvest. Time will tell if any of this was a good idea.

cbeard64

WKR
It holds no interest for me but I don’t have any issue with others doing the hunt. Especially with sheep, they wouldn’t issue the tag if it was harmful to the health of the herd.

Braaap

WKR
My wife had a ewe tag last year and it was one of the most fun hunts I’ve been a part of! Meat is fantastic as well. I hope to draw the same tag myself in the future! I say go and enjoy it.

lonedave

WKR
I drew a ewe tag here in Washington in 2019 after drawing an OIL ram tag for the same unit in 2014. I knew it would be a gimme hunt, but sheep are pretty good to eat and I thought it would be neat to put a ewe on the wall next to my ram. To make it a little more challenging, I took my Thompson Center Seneca sidelock muzzleloader. It was pretty neat to be able to hunt sheep again and I spent most of the day watching sheep and attempting to get within my limited (~50 yard) range. I finally had a shot at about 40 - 45 yards and took the ewe in my avatar. After caping and stripping the meat, I hiked out and was back to my truck by the end of the day. In all, it was as some have said, a pretty easy hunt, but I had a great time and had a good load of prime meat. Ewes aren't an OIL permit here in Washington, but the odds of drawing a second one are very small and I would rather let others have the experience.2019 Ewe.jpegIMG_5535.JPG