Ever Used Your Sidearm While Hunting?

FLATHEAD

WKR
Not while hunting, but when I was younger I stayed in the woods after hunting season
fishing creeks and beaver ponds.
I killed a LOT of Water Moccasins with a Ruger Security Six.

I drew my handgun during archery elk about 5 years ago.
I had set up on a game trail during midday, this unit had a herd of cattle grazing, cows with calves, and a couple of bulls.
I heard a deep, threatening rumble coming from the trees below...this bovine bull had scented me and came walking up the trail. I put down my bow and he kept walking toward me making this insane low rumbling sound. He was huge, like the cartoon bulls on Bugs Bunny, all muscle on short little legs.
When he got to about 20 yards, I got up and moved to put some slash in between me and him. I drew my handgun but honestly, my hands were shaking so bad, I wouldn't have hit him in the skull.
When I got up to move, the cows and calves started moving up the trail and he basically dismissed me and followed them.
It was the most scared I've ever been hunting.

Vedauvoo

FNG
Check your local hunting rules. Some States do not allow carrying a handgun during archery season.
I used to live in Cheyenne, about a quarter mile from the Wyoming Game and Fish main office. I got to know some biologists and game wardens while I lived there.

One year I was planning a solo trip to hunt elk with my bow. I asked one of the wardens about carrying a pistol. He told me that it was illegal. But then added, if he were going into the country I was planning to hunt, he would carefully consider ignoring that law.

I carried my Glock 20.

Blammo

FNG
I used my 9mm to dispatch a pig I had shot so it did not suffer. Ended immediately.

KenLee

WKR
I don't know anyone who enjoys or wants to shoot a large caliber magnum revolver.

I owned a .41 titanium wheel gun for precisely 2 shots. Then I never shot it again and got rid of it.

I can shoot a 10mm all day and have no fear of its recoil. I couldn't say the same about a lightweight magnum. My personal experience for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
I'd bet that .41 titanium was a beast.
A few outings with a 357 S&W titanium and I switched to 38 special ammo in it.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Why is that?
Because a Cottonmouth is the only snake that has ever
actually chased me (multiple times). I've even had them come at me while
I was in a moving boat - and follow the boat.
And they will do their best to get IN the boat with you.
I had one put me standing on top of my 4 wheeler once when I
wasnt carrying. Was trying to climb up the thing, but there was
a huge rock on the other side that convinced him otherwise.
They dont play, and neither do I.
I make every opportunity count.

Jbogg

FNG
Because a Cottonmouth is the only snake that has ever
actually chased me (multiple times). I've even had them come at me while
I was in a moving boat - and follow the boat.
And they will do their best to get IN the boat with you.
I had one put me standing on top of my 4 wheeler once when I
wasnt carrying. Was trying to climb up the thing, but there was
a huge rock on the other side that convinced him otherwise.
They dont play, and neither do I.
I make every opportunity count.
A cottonmouth wants nothing to do with people, and as far as the chasing stories go those are nothing more than myths. If someone is standing in between the snake, and where that snake wants to go, then it would likely move towards them, but that does not mean that the snake is chasing that person.

I know an older gentleman who lives in south Georgia and he has caught pit vipers for over 50 years. He sold some snakes to the Ross Allen reptile Institute back in the 1970s. He has as much experience with water moccasins as anyone walking this planet, and he is adamant that they do not chase people. He will go a step further and state that they are the pit viper that is probably least likely to bite a human. His experience is backed up by numerous herpetologists, who have published on this topic.

Fatcamp

WKR
A cottonmouth wants nothing to do with people, and as far as the chasing stories go those are nothing more than myths. If someone is standing in between the snake, and where that snake wants to go, then it would likely move towards them, but that does not mean that the snake is chasing that person.

I know an older gentleman who lives in south Georgia and he has caught pit vipers for over 50 years. He sold some snakes to the Ross Allen reptile Institute back in the 1970s. He has as much experience with water moccasins as anyone walking this planet, and he is adamant that they do not chase people. He will go a step further and state that they are the pit viper that is probably least likely to bite a human. His experience is backed up by numerous herpetologists, who have published on this topic.

You do you. Me and my people have had a different experience.

I'd bet that .41 titanium was a beast.
A few outings with a 357 S&W titanium and I switched to 38 special ammo in it.
I had a 45acp all-titanium revolver.
I liked it but it was 5rd capacity.
Buffalo Bore 38+P Outdoorsman ammo is 158gr hardcast.
I run it in my SW 386XL.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Apparently JBog hasnt been out much. At least around Cottonmouths.
Just regurgitating what others have told him.
My experiences dont lie.
I'll give you another JBogg. While collecting insects in the Talladega NF of
East Central AL. for an Entomology graduate class, I walked up over
a rise with a small creek on the other side. As soon as I came over the
rise, one came up out of the creek at me Wide A$$ open. And, of course
I retreated. Went back to the truck and got that Security Six full of wadcutters.
I Sloooowwwly eased back up over that rise and there he was in the creek.
Shot him and he wedged himself between some rocks underwater.
Had to get a stick to get him out cause I wasnt sticking my hand down there.
Right @ 4 feet long and big around as my arm, with fangs to match.
I didnt get much collecting done after that.

Jbogg

FNG
Apparently JBog hasnt been out much. At least around Cottonmouths.
Just regurgitating what others have told him.
My experiences dont lie.
I'll give you another JBogg. While collecting insects in the Talladega NF of
East Central AL. for an Entomology graduate class, I walked up over
a rise with a small creek on the other side. As soon as I came over the
rise, one came up out of the creek at me Wide A$$ open. And, of course
I retreated. Went back to the truck and got that Security Six full of wadcutters.
I Sloooowwwly eased back up over that rise and there he was in the creek.
Shot him and he wedged himself between some rocks underwater.
Had to get a stick to get him out cause I wasnt sticking my hand down there.
Right @ 4 feet long and big around as my arm, with fangs to match.
I didnt get much collecting done after that.
Actually, I have plenty of experience with snakes, and have handled many. Cottonmouths are thick and intimidating looking. When they gape with their mouth wide open and fangs exposed, it will definitely get your attention. I’m not disputing your experiences, but I do believe most people that claim they have been chased by a cottonmouth, are simply ignorant, and they are mistaking a snake moving in their direction for being chased. There is no upside for the snake if he chases a human. That would be the equivalent of a person chasing a sow grizzly with cubs. Doesn’t make sense.

Jimbee

WKR
I started this journey by carrying a large caliber wheel gun shooting hard cast, to a G20 with hard cast to a G19 with hard cast and now carry a PMR 30 22 WMR. I want hits on target and adequate depth of penetration into the CNS.
What bullets do you use?