Ever Used Your Sidearm While Hunting?

JjamesIII

WKR
People think about the bear protection with a gun question with a narrow view. I have used mine several times as a noise maker before a situation ever developed. If a bear isn’t immediately running away from me I sling a couple in his direction to scare him away. No waiting to be charged to use the gun or bear spray when they are already on top of me.

I have stopped one charge this way as well.
Also, incidences that involved “problem bears” have found that these animals become desensitized to spray. By this, I mean, once a bear has been sprayed, it is less likely to be deterred by spray in future encounters. They don’t often consider that. When they walk away from their first contact with humans relatively unharmed it emboldens them to do it again. A dead bear ends that cycle pretty quickly. No need to trap and relocate only to have it find another opportunity to get in trouble.
I think the park rangers advocate spray and non lethal deterrents mainly because they don’t want visitors slaying every one of their pet bears that come within range of a campground/visitor center. A lot of tourist walking around with 10mm’s looking for a reason to use them- lol.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Regs are pretty black and white...I have yet to see a reg banning carry of a sidearm for protection....still haven't. Any states in particular? The NE is a big place.
Didnt finish the thread yet so maybe it has been mentioned, but Michigan you cannot carry during archery unless you have a CPL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230322_080407.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322_080407.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 20

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
My brother in law ran into a bear that had probably been sprayed before,it would turn its head away when he sprayed and then come at him again.After 3 rounds of that he shot it in the head and it ran down the mountain shaking its head.

A little sidenote. I believe animals are capable of doing risk asessment. If you have practiced and have confidence in what you have chosen, you will have a certain demeaner of confidence that they can sense. Based on that will have a component in some cases of whether or not you will become the meal of the day. Over the years I have had a number of stare-downs with big blackbears and then we just moved off in our own directions. I have no doubt that if my reaction would have been of panic or abject fear the response would have been differant.

SwiftShot

WKR
For people that use one for a finisher, why not use your rifle or bow?
I decided not to shoot at 10 feet with my 300 Win Mag on a deer. My 9mm to the neck a little bit safer. The 300 would have blasted through hit the ground and done who knows what. Figured if a ricochet was going to happen I would prefer a 9mm round to 300 Win mag.

I have never hunted in grizzly country, but I do hunt black bears in the southern Appalachians where it can be thick as dogs fur. Most of my hunting is in the afternoons/evenings until dark, and blood trailing a bow shot bear through the thick mountain laurel solo after dark is a gut check. My only pistol is a Glock 40 Cal, which I’m not even sure would be up to the task of dispatching one, but it’s better than nothing. I have wondered if bear spray would be a better option, but it seems to me that if a bear has been wounded and wants to come for you, he is going to do so regardless of spray. i’m curious what others think of this scenario.
This is from the Buffalo Bore web site so take it for what it is worth:

40 S&W OUTDOORSMAN Std Pressure Low Flash:
"Expect roughly 30 inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone."

For that matter their hardcast load for the "anemic" 380 ACP is claimed to do 20"+.

I kind of like the idea of spray, and I have a can Of it, but I’m not sure if I can figure out how to work that thing under duress. I’m not even sure if I would point it in the right direction, and I’m just as liable to spray myself as the bear. My pistol is much simpler to operate. Easy to tell which end is the business end.

Ideally, I would like to simultaneously spray and shoot an attacking bear While delivering karate kicks And making karate noises. Same goes for an attacking cougar. Unless the attack occurs in a hot tub… in that case, she has to buy me dinner.

Lytro

WKR
I don't hunt in Grizzly country so I rarely carry a sidearm. Sometimes I'll carry a 10mm during rifle season in hopes I can get a shot on a deer with it though.

Side note: I think it's hilarious when people carry snake guns.

sacklunch

WKR
I don't hunt in Grizzly country so I rarely carry a sidearm. Sometimes I'll carry a 10mm during rifle season in hopes I can get a shot on a deer with it though.

Side note: I think it's hilarious when people carry snake guns.
I'd be willing to bet snakes kill far more people each year than griz

tam9492

WKR
I'd be willing to bet snakes kill far more people each year than griz
Sure, but in the vast majority of those instances, a firearm would not deter the bite. Bites mostly occur because people are unaware that a snake is even in the area.

sacklunch

WKR
Sure, but in the vast majority of those instances, a firearm would not deter the bite. Bites mostly occur because people are unaware that a snake is even in the area.
Ive not lived in snake country long, but I've shot 2 in the last year on walks with the dogs, that I became aware of from a rattle. Close enough to strike (I'd assume?), close enough that I did not desire to take another step.

But IMO, to only cary in griz country is basically saying a mtn lion, angry black bear sow, or some meth heads in camp aren't potentially life threatening. Doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Think you missed the point.

While the results of a bear attack can be horrific, the likelihood of it occurring is extremely low.

Despite the volume of Rokslide members and their time spent in the field every year, how many documented cases of attacks on them are there every year? How many of these have resulted in their deaths?

Lytro

WKR
Ive not lived in snake country long, but I've shot 2 in the last year on walks with the dogs, that I became aware of from a rattle. Close enough to strike (I'd assume?), close enough that I did not desire to take another step.

But IMO, to only cary in griz country is basically saying a mtn lion, angry black bear sow, or some meth heads in camp aren't potentially life threatening. Doesn't pass the smell test to me.
I've come across a lot of rattlesnakes over the years, and just haven't had any desire to kill them I guess.

I travel with a pistol in the truck and keep one in camp. If I'm rifle hunting I don't see the point of carrying another gun specifically for bear and lion defense. Due to my job not allowing time off in September I only archery hunt locally, and we don't have bears here. Lions and lion attacks are scarce enough that I'm willing to take my chances on them.