Ever talk to a Shoe rep...car salesman

I have had some serious foot issue's over the years.
Cracked heel about 10 years ago and last year a Coral infection in foot pad, thank the Lord for insurance (Dr. bill $15,500)
I am very interested in talking with various shoe reps.but.....
I still would get the inkling that they would be like a car salesman in trying to get a product out the door.
There is so much info here on Rokslide concerning boots and opinions that I look at daily it can get you turned sideways.
Don't get to tall, need to be narrow, order half size large, don't get leather, make sure you wear a liner, insulated is unnecessary if you wear a wool sock...
Is a shoe salesman going to help or should you be in the store trying on pair after pair?
If you purchase a pair how the blazes do you break them in only to find out after many miles that the $400 you just spent are the makers of innumerable blisters?
Should I keep reading all the opinions or start calling shoe reps? What have you done?

Beastmode

WKR
Call lathrop and sons. They will give you solid advice and fit the perfect shoe for you. They come from a podiatrist background and are extremely sharp and helpful.

Shrek

WKR
Lanthrop and sons for sure. Steve helped me with a pair of boots over the phone that I didn't even buy crom them. If it was all about the sale he wouldn't have been helpful. High quality people. The up front cost are a little steep for some of us but in the long run they will save you a bundle by getting the boot you need the first time around.

tuffcity

WKR
I like to think that a shop that sells boots, especially high end ones, will not try to sell you snake oil but be up front about things. Example, last year I was talking to Bob from Barney's at our sheep convention and I was looking for a pair of boots for my wife, he recommended a pair that he didn't even sell because he felt what he carried wouldn't work for her. Turned out his recommendation was spot on. :)

While I have never dealt with Lathrop, you hear nothing but good stuff about them- might be a good place to start.

RC

OP
R
Well thanks, the ball is rolling. Talked with Steve Lathrop for almost half an hour, he sent me some carbon pads to stand on and trace both feet. Holy smokes! The toes, ball of my foot and heel are just about the only thing that got imprinted. Big time arch. If you look at who is looking at what on the Rokslide site, there is almost always 1-3 on this footwear forum. Your feet take you everywhere and I have always been a "they fit good enough" lets get out of the store guy. Pretty excited thx