Ever needed that extra string.....you better be carrying?

Put a new string on last evening to beak it in. Shot only 15 arrows and the brace height changed from 7 1/2" to 7" ..yikes!! Going to take a couple hundred to get it stretched out before I go after Turkey ;^)

a3dhunter

WKR
I've got a Black Widow recurve that needs a new string and a backup.
I have been shooting what it came with and it's in bad shape.

Where are you buying your strings?
What are some guidelines with trad. archery strings?

OP
R
Valley Traditional Archery. They advertise in TBM (Traditional Bowhunter Magazine).
I advise them of Bow length and measure the string pulled tight between two nails and give him those numbers as well though he said no need. Bought a custom string once and saw no difference

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
No sir I've never used that backup string, yes I tote it because you never know? (Grin) Good luck with breaking in your new one!

ElkNut1

It only takes a second of your razor sharp broadhead touching a taught bowstring as you put your arrow on your bow or take it off to cut that string and ruin your whole hunt. I always take an extra that has been shot in and has everything on it (silencers and nocking point). I carry a bowstringer too.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I always have one with also, but no luckily I have never needed it.

OreTK

FNG
Been packing a spare "shot in" string for almost 25 years, have never needed it. Guarantee if I remove it from the pack my serving will unravel while out hunting.

B

bearguide

i take off my old streached out string and use it as my back up string, it still has the nock point on it so that when i need to use it, it will not be far off from the one i am using

G Posik

WKR
Put a new string on last evening to beak it in. Shot only 15 arrows and the brace height changed from 7 1/2" to 7" ..yikes!! Going to take a couple hundred to get it stretched out before I go after Turkey ;^)

Rick what material is your string made from? I have my strings made with D97 and get minimal stretch.

My spare string already has the nock point on and ready. Hope I never need it but will always have it with me.

Glenn

OP
R
Don't have a clue on the string. I just tell my Trad Shop owner bow length and he gives me a string. Last night was the best, after about 40 arrows I went into the garage and I had lost only 3/16" from the brace height. I easily have 300+ arrows through the new string. I could use FF string , but just do not want to at this time. My other string had -Zero_ wear and tear. It is now my backup

OP
R
Well well this was a first for me. The string was suppose to be correct for my bow but it was not. On one of the twists to get it correct I observed that the string was starting to coil back onto itself. PM'd a custom string maker and that means I have met the strings limit. Measured the other string compared to the new and I had 3/4" difference. He said the best way to get a string if possible is to measure the previous string and use that as your reference instead of archery AMO. There is a rule of thumb that the string is suppose to be X inches shorter than the bow length...not totally correct. Going to order a custom string 8^)

horseshoe

FNG
I always have an extra string....unfortunately, during my first ever elk hunt, it was at base camp! this was not good when i slipped off a rock and the string took a beating as it broke my fall on that same rock. it broke a few minutes later. ended that spike camp adventure! lots of good sign too! never made it back to that area. ALWAYS HAVE THE EXTRA STRING AND HAVE IT IN YOUR PACK!

J

JBR

One of the many advantages of switching from compound to traditional archery I've discovered recently is the ease of maintenance/repair of equipment. My 3 sons (ages 11, 13 and 14 yrs old) and I started from the get-go by making all our own long bows by hand, as well as leather arm guards, finger tabs and bow strings. We have not purchased a commercially made string yet, except one that came incidentally with a long bow kit. We are working on making our own wood arrows and quivers now as well. It's been a lot of fun to do and a great way to spend time together.

We were fortunate enough to be able to become friends with Jay St. Charles and spend time with him in his shop on a few different occassions. During one of those occassions, Jay showed the boys and I how to make a flemish-twist bow string by hand (usually 10 or 12 strand) from a roll of Dacron B50 bowstring material. With that knowledge and a roll of B50, the boys have made all their own bow strings for their various long bows from that point on! Great skill to have and one of the reasons why we enjoy making all our own stuff...we know how to fix it!