Ever have to carry your dog off a trail?

I carried my last black lab into the Vet when I had to put him to sleep. He had hip displacement so bad that he developed a huge cyst/ulcer there and it burst causing the whole hip to erode away. He already had a bad spinal injury when he jumped off an embankment chasing a stupid feral cat. I almost had to put him down then because his whole back half was numb like he was paralyzed. After a week he came out of that one but he always swung his back leg around in order to walk. Never hunted with him again after that one. He was 3 yrs old when that happened and he lived as my best buddy for another 6 years. He was a hell of a water dog. Best one I ever had for the 3 years I got to hunt with him.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Once, but luckily not far. My golden is in pretty pristine shape, 65 pounds of muscle and we run 30 miles a week pretty much year-round other than upland season. Last season he came up lame and I thought for sure he tore his ACL and we were a couple hundred yards from the truck. Got home and he still refused to put weight on his back leg although he still wanted to hunt. I threw him over my shoulder for the 300 yard walk back to the truck. I'm a PT so I have a good understanding of human anatomy, did the human version of an ACL test on him and it sure felt like it was there to me but I'm not a vet so off I went.

Brought him to the vet the next day, I get the dreaded call at work, "Can Lambeau be a little dramatic sometimes?" Turns out he's just a baby, was running on it perfectly fine by the next weekend and it was time to kill more pheasants.

Another random story on dogs- he refused to eat for 3 days and our vet was convinced he had a foreign body that needed removal, was puking or dry heaving non-stop. Brought him to an emergency room vet, ultrasound negative and a quick injection for his upset belly and 1600 dollars later he was a new man again for simple gastritis. The things they put us through. Now anytime he seems to be getting upset I switch him to elk/venison/rice for a few days and it seems to clear it up.

7mm-08

WKR
Yes, on a typical "death march" chuckar excursion. My friend had an older wirehair and the temperature was in the 50's. This was the hardest charging and best chuckar dog I've ever had the pleasure of watching hunt wild birds. It was a mistake to try and cover that kind of ground with him and we switched off carrying him three miles in rough terrain. Guarantee that was harder on him than us. And, it REALLY sucked.

manitou1

WKR
Once, but luckily not far. My golden is in pretty pristine shape, 65 pounds of muscle and we run 30 miles a week pretty much year-round other than upland season. Last season he came up lame and I thought for sure he tore his ACL and we were a couple hundred yards from the truck. Got home and he still refused to put weight on his back leg although he still wanted to hunt. I threw him over my shoulder for the 300 yard walk back to the truck. I'm a PT so I have a good understanding of human anatomy, did the human version of an ACL test on him and it sure felt like it was there to me but I'm not a vet so off I went.

Brought him to the vet the next day, I get the dreaded call at work, "Can Lambeau be a little dramatic sometimes?" Turns out he's just a baby, was running on it perfectly fine by the next weekend and it was time to kill more pheasants.

Another random story on dogs- he refused to eat for 3 days and our vet was convinced he had a foreign body that needed removal, was puking or dry heaving non-stop. Brought him to an emergency room vet, ultrasound negative and a quick injection for his upset belly and 1600 dollars later he was a new man again for simple gastritis. The things they put us through. Now anytime he seems to be getting upset I switch him to elk/venison/rice for a few days and it seems to clear it up.
Yeah, but they would do it for us if they could.
Gotta love the little goofballs.

Last edited:
If we didn’t have little dog booties we would have had to carry our dog out. All four paws and pads were gone from the trail. Even though they don’t like wearing them, it seems to help. We were 13 miles into the Beartooth’s, we have not been back since.

IMG_0228.jpeg

they make tactical harnesses for dogs I've seen military use them, handles and D-rings on em you can clip on a strap if something happens and wear them like a duffel. 95 pounds isn't easy but you gotta do what you gotta do. also the handles on the back and the strap let you lift the dog and take part of their weight while you walk and they do what they can

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Couple things I learned running hog dogs in Texas for 15 years.

After a dog heat strokes they will heat stroke the next time easier for some reason.

if a dog is stroking, water to drink is good. Water to lay in is better, water to lay in and a liter of lactated ringers sub q will save them. I always carried a liter of LR in my cut pack with an iv setup. Just put the needle sub q and squeeze until a ball forms then move the needle to another location until the liter is used. It will rehydrate them faster then drinking.

This is exactly right.
The IV bag is the right idea. We had a dog die of kidney failure and we put a few hundred CCs into the back of her neck/back every day. It’s a pretty easy task.

I know some police dog handlers that will preload their shepherds and mals with 500 CC of lactated ringers before a long manhunt in hot weather.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I carry one of these on longer adventures with my lab. It is MUCH easier to carry him in this than any other method.

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I carry one of these on longer adventures with my lab. It is MUCH easier to carry him in this than any other method.
I like that idea because if I had put my lab in my load shelf of my pack, it may have been too narrow and put too much pressure on her stomach or something.

4rcgoat

WKR
I like that idea because if I had put my lab in my load shelf of my pack, it may have been too narrow and put too much pressure on her stomach or something.
I think i may be picking one up myself,sure would hate to know about this when I need it and don't have it.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I think i may be picking one up myself,sure would hate to know about this when I need it and don't have it.
I’ve only put my lab in it when he’s healthy but he just relaxes in the harness. It’s nice that you can adjust the height of where your dog rides on your back.