Ever get a blood clot from driving?

So, I got a blood clot about 7 years ago after/during a guided hunt in Idaho. I was basically on a horse 12+ hours a day then a drive home to Tennessee 28ish hours. That time it was a non DVT and wasn’t a big deal. Recently I drove out to WY, ID, and MT to fly fish for about 10 days and then drove back 28 hours. On my way back (I think), I got another blood clot, this time it was a DVT, although it was not serious. I have an Alaskan hunt planned and don’t want this to happen again. Im obviously seeing an hematologist, but still awaiting the appt. This ever happen to any of you? 40 years old, active, in good shape. Also, never got the vax, figured Id state that. Thanks!

waspocrew

WKR
Are you on an anticoagulant now?

On your drive, how often were you stopping to take breaks and walk? Hematology can run a hypercoag panel to see if there’s anything that would predispose you to DVTs, but sometimes they just happen.

Never happened to me (knock on wood), but I have heard it usually occurs when sitting in the same position for an extended time (driving long distances or sitting on a plane for a long flight). I have read that you should get up from your seat in a plane and walk up and down the aisle for a minute or so (going to P every 2 hours makes it an easy task for me). When driving long distances, I usually stop every 2 hours to P, stretch my legs, get gas, etc. I have found it really helps to stop and walk around if I get drowsy too.

How did you know you got clots? Pain in leg? This is something I've though about on long trips.

Last edited:

505Wapiti

WKR
Compression socks, staying hydrated, routine stops to walk etc, are good; however, you are clotting and it’s best to find out why. I had a PE that I’m pretty sure came from just what you are describing spending long hours on the road without adequate stops and hydration. I also had a clot in the leg after knee surgery. Best to let the hematologist do their thing.

OP
isItFallYet
Yeah, to be honest, I was drinking energy drinks and just pushing it to the limits on the drive. I guess I can’t sit in the saddle for that long. Just curious if this has happened to anyone on here.

Hydration, moving around (walking), and compression socks. (Personally, I use ProCompression socks, I have no affiliation with them.) I would talk with your doctor before using compression socks though since you have a history of DVT. You may have a larger clot that breaks apart, using compression socks may worsen that.

ray12515

FNG
Some of our sales team have had to deal with that, lots of long drives. Definitely a good idea to talk to your doc if you’ve had multiple. They can cause big problems if they get stuck somewhere important

Split toe

WKR
So, I got a blood clot about 7 years ago after/during a guided hunt in Idaho. I was basically on a horse 12+ hours a day then a drive home to Tennessee 28ish hours. That time it was a non DVT and wasn’t a big deal. Recently I drove out to WY, ID, and MT to fly fish for about 10 days and then drove back 28 hours. On my way back (I think), I got another blood clot, this time it was a DVT, although it was not serious. I have an Alaskan hunt planned and don’t want this to happen again. Im obviously seeing an hematologist, but still awaiting the appt. This ever happen to any of you? 40 years old, active, in good shape. Also, never got the vax, figured Id state that. Thanks!
So you have not actually been diagnosed with one currently, just suspecting that is what is going on based on prior experience? Immobility is of course a risk factor for them, can be prevented with conservative measures as noted above. Hematology can as mentioned test you for clotting disorders, if that is negative, it is all about prevention.

OP
isItFallYet
So you have not actually been diagnosed with one currently, just suspecting that is what is going on based on prior experience? Immobility is of course a risk factor for them, can be prevented with conservative measures as noted above. Hematology can as mentioned test you for clotting disorders, if that is negative, it is all about prevention.
No, I was diagnosed with one. Im seeing a hematologist to figure out if there is a reason, other than driving for so long, why I may be prone to them.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
Not personally, no. A friend of the family in northern WI got a call that his elderly parents were in a car accident while snow-birding in Florida. My buddy (in his mid-late 50's) jumps in his truck and makes the drive straight through to be by his parents' side. He ended up literally by their side. He develop a clot that hospitalized him. Any time my dad and I are driving out west to hunt the old man reminds me "What happened to Mike" and we have to stop every couple of hours to stretch.

I'm still young, dumb and gung-ho enough to want to push straight through. I'll stop when I get to Montana.

Prolonged trips, plane or car, I premedicate with ASA. No personally history of DVT but I have seen lots of them.

I have had 5 DVT and 3 PE. Don't **** around with clots.
My Mom passed away due to a clot in her leg that traveled to her lungs. Don't mess with that. Another person I know, a good friend who used to run a lot and ran in many 5k races had his knee scoped, and died from a blood clot as a result of the scope.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
triforce