Ever catch grouse by hand?

gerry35

WKR
Cool those are some nice looking birds!

Funny you mention this because a few days ago I took my wife by a spot where I caught a ruffed grouse by hand. At the time I was moose hunting. Late October and it was pounding rain and snow and very cold. Poor thing was soaked, wish I would have taken it home so it could dry out.

i caught one during the wisconsin gun deer season in Price county aka grouse capital. They can be really curious and friendly some times. other times they are the most skittish creatures on planet earth

Saw one on the centerline of the road once in a rainstorm in Colorado. I got out, picked her up, and set her in a tree off the side of the road. Weird.

edited to add photo

Attachments

• grouse.jpg
    grouse.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
Ruffed grouse are so popular in Alaska that they're extremely skittish and the only birds that I've been able to walk right up on are ptarmigan. Once up at Worthington Glacier we had one just walking along in front of us to where we had to stop walking a couple of times.

Also had one running up the trail in front of my snowmachine for a couple hundred feet before it finally got off the trail and tried hiding in a depression in the snow. I looked down at and laughed, but decided not to take it home. Funniest thing was down in the snow like that, it looked like it believed I couldn't see it. Silly birds.