Essential items for diy elk hunt

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious about the bow hanger, towel and a roll of paper towels....What for? You've got TP and wipes in the hygiene kit.

The bow hanger is the little short simple screw in one. I like to have it to hang bow or pack on. When hunting and standing by a tree it is quick to screw in and that way I have both hands available and the bow is easy to get to. I guess it is part of my southern whitetail hunting coming through. The paper towels stay in the truck and are always something nice to have. The towel works as packing in bow case for travel and used after a shower to dry off before I get back on the airplane to come home. Can find a camp ground with public showers and able to wash the funk off before flying home. The people on the plane appreciate it I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
This is the bow hanger that I use.

0b6903719169f1a5245ff75022d474ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
My list, with options for different scenarios, backup gear in the truck, food, etc - Over 175 items... Essential items are probably 75-100 if I list them out, include clothing, etc. Less if it's a day hunt...

I think rather than saying, "Please list your essential gear" like it's only a couple items, you might want to start looking at gear lists and making your own...

Uttlc

FNG
My list, with options for different scenarios, backup gear in the truck, food, etc - Over 175 items... Essential items are probably 75-100 if I list them out, include clothing, etc. Less if it's a day hunt...

I think rather than saying, "Please list your essential gear" like it's only a couple items, you might want to start looking at gear lists and making your own...

Thanks for posting that!

Essentials other than the obvious; Life straw, Chapstick , Small cheap mosquito head net ( much lighter than a Thermacell), Eye drops, (the low humidity dries the eyes out), especially if you wear contacts. Spare release, Range Finder, Wind detector. I always have a small folding saw. I never have a trip where I do not use the saw. About a dozen Cable ties /Tywraps, Bic Lighter, black trash bag (innumerable uses), pair of gloves

Chili powder to sprinkle on the meat to keep the flies off! I also cut a hook off a ratchet strap and attach to my pack belt to carry my bow easier. Moleskin for blisters and some tenacious tape for small repairs. I find that I usually don't feel like changing my outer wear very often so depending how long I go, I usually only wear one set and have a spare set in the pack.