Essential items for diy elk hunt

I’m looking to go elk hunting with my bow for the first time this September and I was wondering if there were any essential items that you guys would recommend before going besides obviously good boots and a good pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Also this hunt will take place in Colorado and we are planning on camping.

I found a water bladder with a hose to your shoulder strap was key for me staying hydrated and consistently drinking water through the day versus a water bottle inside your pack

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
We fly so weight is a concern so some things get purchased when we get there. Not all things are are packed into the woods and some are left in rental truck.

Here is my list:
Elk hunt
*Bow
*Kill kit( outdoor edge knife, rubber gloves, para cord, contractor bags, bone saw pc of tyvac, bomb game bags)
*Hygiene (toothbrush, toothpaste, wet wipes, toilet paper, Tylenol, first aid kit)
*Sleeping (hammock, tarp, top and bottom quilt,piece of house wrap)
*Cooking kit(stove, fuel, lighter, spork, pots, sawyer water purifier, stern pen)
*Food
*boots
*range finder
*extra arrows
*extra broadheads
*bow hanger
* release X2
*chest harness
* binos
* camp shoes
*phone charger
*GPS
*spare batteries
*head lamp X2
*camo( Puffy jacket, long underwear,prana Zion, tee shirt, chama QZ, springer vest, underwear X2, Socks X2)
*rain gear
*Cash
* towel
*roll of paper towels
*sunglasses
*tarp

Good list above. There a little heavier but good elk bags for me. Never mind seen them in the “kill kit”

Good fitness and a positive attitude. All the gear in the world can’t make up for those 2 things....but definitely use the search feature and check out the gear lists as well. Good luck!

Great response. 1st time out you need to look at the tag as "tuition" for elk hunting 101 because you are going to learn a ton and most likely not kill one. Sure, you might get lucky and kill one, but if you do you are very, very lucky.

The better shape you're in, the better your attitude will be. Never forget that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just break it down to every day needs. What are you going to need to have an acceptable camp (everyone is different)? What are you going to need from day to day while out hunting? And what are you going to need to be able to break down an elk properly, and get all the meat back to the truck? Do you have acceptable cooler space for the meat? Do you have enough ice?

I have it all down pretty well after doing this for decades, but after the truck is loaded I actually go through my every scenario in my mind to make sure I have everything........from camp setup, to daily hunting, to breaking down the bull and getting it out. If I have all that.......then I'm good to go at worst case.

Uttlc

FNG
Following here as well. Planning my first elk hunt for 5 days between the 14th and the 22nd.

pdp

FNG
Good fitness and a positive attitude. All the gear in the world can’t make up for those 2 things....but definitely use the search feature and check out the gear lists as well. Good luck!

Preach it.

I've found that I always bring too much stuff. Too many clothes, too much food, too many spare flashlights, knives, stoves, etc. Every year I pare down the list and still every year I bring too much stuff. I'm hoping 5th time is a charm and I'll finally get it right but that little voice in the back of your head can and will tell you "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!" - so we all tend to overpack. I guess that's inevitable.

But for sure, clothes and food are two places I still haven't gotten right. I always wear fewer clothes than I expect and always eat less than I expect.

One thing I've learned about Colorado now is that no matter where I go, I'll probably never be more than 2-3 hours from a Wal-Mart or an hour from a small town grocery/general store (which in CO usually have a better selection than Wal-Mart anyway!). So I don't sweat the packing like I used to.

A couple years ago, I couldn't find my backpacking stove. I eventually found it buried in my truck after I got home, but I searched 2-3 times at camp and figured I had somehow forgotten it. So down the mountain to Yampa I went and bought another one for about $20 at the general store. No big deal really. Same goes with food. These days I barely pack any food and I pick up about half of what I need once I get there.

I'm curious about the bow hanger, towel and a roll of paper towels....What for? You've got TP and wipes in the hygiene kit.