Entry hole vs exit hole- EPEK broadhead question

PhillyB

WKR
Hey everyone-
I am curious how important the size of the entry hole is?

I recently picked up a cheap set of the older Epek heads to try out. I am spot on out to 70 yds, stacking arrows on top of each other. They fly crazy good.

My concern is, in researching these heads, many have made mention of field point size entrance holes. The blades can deploy a little slow and not fully open until inside the animal. However, the damage done inside and the exit holes are amazing.

If this is the case, I don't foresee a small entrance hole being an issue. If the exit hole is a massive gaping wound then there will be no problem tracking. Now I understand if you hit bone like a shoulder blade and lose penetration, the animal will not bleed much because of the small entrance hole.

I am not too concerned about penetration with 75 lbs of KE, but am curious as to what the consensus is with importance of entry hole size.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Off hand the only situation I can think of where entry hole would be important is if you're shooting at an up hill angle, thereby making the entry hole the exit for blood trailing. Could affect your recovery of a downed animal.

ktowncamo

WKR
Legitimate question. Two of the elk I killed didnt have exit wounds so the bleeding from the entrance wound was important, but then again, I think it's not so much if the blood has a place to run to as much as did your shot and the broadhead do enough internal damage to make the animal bleed to death? If torn up inside, the damage will cause death, and quickly. Tracking may be tougher if the blood doesn't spill out, but as was the case in both of my elk kills without an exit wound I went 40 and 50 yards to a dead elk.

On the elk that I had a pass through, I incidentally used an EPEK. It was a poor shot on my part, uphill 45 degrees, broadside and as I shot the elk moved uphill more and the broadhead struck the hind quarter. It was dusk so I didn't see the actual entry but knew I was back (didn't think I was that far back). The elk grunted and huffed taking two lunging steps uphill before pealing off into the timber in a traversing manner. After 1 hour I started tracking and the blood trail was good, but when I found the bottom half of the arrow from the exit side (it broke off) the tracking was made simple. When I found the elk, I didn't see much of an entrance wound and when I turned it over the exit was massive, but despite that the damage inside was the killer - Femoral Artery cut in two. Not the kind of shot I'm proud of, but fortunately/luckily the broadhead did it's job inside.

My point is that I think the entrance wound and in part the exit, in my limited experience, is not as important as the correct placement and damage inside.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
Ktown- thanks for your input. That is a great example.

Do you still shoot EPEK? If not why did you change? I am still on the fence about using them. I would love to hear from someone that has taken an animal with them and then switched or if they are still shooting them. First hand experience would be great