Enlightened Equipment Convert?

Mine showed up today.

Unfortunately, it isn’t the long length I ordered. It is a regular. In touch with EE so I guess I get to see how good their CS is. :mad:

Neat piece of kit. Was hoping to use this for early season. Maybe they can add a few elves to the workshop and get me the right size before oct 1st.

So after a few communications with EE it appears I have the right quilt.

A few impressions:
- the specs page says a long convert quilt is 84 inches. There is also some fine print that says that is an unstuffed length. Mine is 78-79” stuffed and you can stretch it to 83ish.
- the foot box closes in sleeping bag mode via draw string. If you are careful you should be able to seal out air you do however lose 4-6 inches of length depending on how you hold your feet, etc. I am 6’3” and the sleeping bag mode on a long version comes to my eyes so you probably end up with about 6’ of length on the long version.
- draft tubes seem fine.
- zipper snagged a bit in my in home testing.
- there are snaps and two buckles that run down the zipper seam
- the buckles connect in a sleeping pad strap set that is supplied
- you also get a stuff sack and cotton storage sack
- fit and finish seem solid. Apart from the zipper which is on the smaller side, you get the impression this is a stout piece of kit.
- quilt mode is fine. Draft tubes shield you from contact with the zipper. Plenty of coverage.
- insulation is Apex so it isn’t going to compress as much as down
- mine also weighs in at 37 oz. heavy for a quilt but not bad for a 30 synthetic bag.

In summary, it ain’t as long as I thought it would be. While the EE website does have some notes on this, it is easy to overlook them as you are shopping because of how they are placed on the website. Time and use will tell if that will be a problem. As a sleeping bag, it is probably good but not great. As a quilt, it seems to have everything I want while offering the option to zip up if desired and that is probably where the convert really shines. Whether you are new to quilt camping or just can’t give up the option to zip in, this seems to be a solid quilt with respectable capability as a sleeping bag of sorts.

Mule

FNG
I took an EE 30*F quilt on my hunt this year for the first time, ditching my trusted 0 western mtneering bag. I tested the quilt down to 24 in dry cold with only a base layer. I figured I'd be golden with additional layers if needed. Well, it never got below 36 at the 11,500' alt. Except it rained alllllll the time. When it wasn't raining, my floorless shelter was a rainforest inside day or night even with venting. I'd wipe it down with a backpack towel , but it'd bead up again just as fast. The down absorbed moisture gradually over the 4-5 days such that it wouldn't insulate much. I was sleeping in my hunting clothes (merino) when it was all said and done, and still chilled. I had to cut my hunt a little short because of that alone. EE is good--great actually. Just not for the excessively damp environments. I will be synthetic (quilt) next time. It's true when they say once down is compromised, it's useless!

Does the bag come to your eyes with you in it? That would seem about right for a long hoodless bag.

Does the bag come to your eyes with you in it? That would seem about right for a long hoodless bag.

Yes. That is a fairly subjective measure but closed and zipped I have about 6 feet of usable bag coverage when I lay on my back.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to the great info guys. The attatchements didn’t work, so unfortunately I didn’t get to see the pics. Do you think it is worth the cost?

Thanks to the great info guys. The attatchements didn’t work, so unfortunately I didn’t get to see the pics. Do you think it is worth the cost?

I won’t be able to use it for a couple of weeks so I can’t really say until at least then and probably until I have a few trips on it which will take months.

I have bought / owned enough gear to feel like I can judge a book by its cover in some respects and I think this is a solid piece of kit. My misunderstanding of the whole length specs aside, the website is easy to order from. They sent the thing within the estimated delivery window. They responded to my emails quickly. The bag seems very well made and designed. ~$250 for a custom sleeping bag that does double duty as a quilt seems pretty good to me. A comparable synthetic bag that is made overseas by big names is going to be $150-200. So as long as it keeps me warm down to something close to the rating, I will be happy.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Mountain Hardware Hyperlamina Flame from backcountry for $190 to test out. I'm going to see how the bag fits me and still may decide to add the quilt as well. Sleep systems are always changing and something thats extremely important in the backcountry.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Sure. I am only 2 weeks into my expected 5-6 of lead time so it could be a while.

Did your quilt come yet? I am close to ordering but not sure what I am getting. I’m either going with a EE Convert in Long/XWide or the new Kifaru Backcountry Body Bag. It’s a tough choice Kifaru uses 6oz Apex and rates it at 25 and EE using 8oz rated to 20. I know Kifaru stuff is quality but I damn sure want to be warm.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Did your quilt come yet? I am close to ordering but not sure what I am getting. I’m either going with a EE Convert in Long/XWide or the new Kifaru Backcountry Body Bag. It’s a tough choice Kifaru uses 6oz Apex and rates it at 25 and EE using 8oz rated to 20. I know Kifaru stuff is quality but I damn sure want to be warm.
There is no 8oz apex and ee only uses 6 oz., like kifaru.
Viam does 7.5 and 10oz apex. That's your warmest choice.
Or kifaru slick 0 degree. Double layer. Its heavy though

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has the 20* Convert in long/wide. Build quality is very good and it's warm. It's the Apex insulation and it doesn't really pack down that great but is manageable. I have the VIAM 10* quilt in regular/wide and it packs down smaller.

Which one is warmer?

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
I called EE and they said they do indead use 8oz Apex in there 20 degree bags and quilts that is custom cut for them.
That’s what I was told anyway