Energy for the backcountry

I’m going to be backpacking in for 8 or so days with a buddy, need a way to charge our phones and my camera (Sony RX100).

What’s your go to?

Solar pad deal, rechargeable battery pack?

Complete noob regarding this type of stuff

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I use a battery. Anker 737 Power Bank (PowerCore 24K). I tried solar with a smaller battery, but the solar was unreliable.

If you want the lightest in their capacity class that im aware of, go for the nitecore carbon fiber battery packs. They have 2 sizes, 10k and 20k

If you want the lightest in their capacity class that im aware of, go for the nitecore carbon fiber battery packs. They have 2 sizes, 10k and 20k

What's the reliability on those battery packs? I've used their hc30 headlamp (I think that's the model) for the last 5 years. I had the LED crap out on me in the first one after 3 years.

Jbehredt

WKR
Anker battery packs. I prefer to carry a couple that add up to what I need on a longer trip. Then I’ve got smaller packs to carry for shorter trips and a little redundancy built in.

BBob

WKR
What's the reliability on those battery packs?
Many reports of the Nitecore carbons were somewhat fragile if dropped and some early ones had issues with the charge port/ports breaking. I use Anker's like many. A little heaver but cheaper and tougher. With my gear (iPhone 14Pro and Garmin Mini2) and usage I can easily get 10+ days off a 10K and still have power left. My Petzl headlamp battery is rechargeable but I can go well over a week on one charge.

Many reports of the Nitecore carbons were somewhat fragile if dropped and some early ones had issues with the charge port/ports breaking. I use Anker's like many. A little heaver but cheaper and tougher. With my gear (iPhone 14Pro and Garmin Mini2) and usage I can easily get 10+ days off a 10K and still have power left. My Petzl headlamp battery is rechargeable but I can go well over a week on one charge.
Thanks. I also have an anker that I've used since 2015 and it's still going strong. I was thinking about looking for a larger capacity at some point.

The smallest Goal Zero i think they make. I’ve only carried that for about 10 years and it’s easily lasted a full 8 days. I turn my phone off though and find zero need for for the most part.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Preferred option: leave the phone at home.

Why TF do you even need it?!?!?

That said, Anker or Goal Zero when you decide to take your phone anyways.

That’s what a stand alone GPS is for.

That is what I use my phone for when hunting. I don't have cell signal where I hunt, it is essentially a standalone GPS that takes pictures. I'd rather get multiple uses from one financial investment.

IMO they suck compared to what mapping on a phone is capable of these days. I used them until phone mapping exceeded their usefulness.
Definitely. My standalone GPS is my old phone prior to upgrading. It also has Avenza maps and several other useful tools, and takes pictures... usually of my freeze dried food lol.

87TT

WKR
My Garmin Oregon takes pictures and logs the location. And it uses AA batteries.

What's the reliability on those battery packs? I've used their hc30 headlamp (I think that's the model) for the last 5 years. I had the LED crap out on me in the first one after 3 years.
Good for me so far. I've only had them like 1.5-2 years tho

ANKER ANKER ANKER
I'll bring 2 anker 6700mAH on shorter trips & the anker 26800mAH for longer trips. They are very reliable and the cold doesn't affect them. I use them all winter to power my thermal scope & scanner and then all fall hunting.
Not sure how much power you need to charge your camera but if you're strictly using your phone in airplane mode using onX the anker 26800mAH would easily keep your phone charged for 2 weeks.

madgrad02

WKR
I hear good things about the Anker products... haven't gotten to utilize the solar panels too much yet, but from the little bit of usage around the house charging headlamps, phones, etc. this seemingly has worked really well and gets great reviews. Got it on one of the Amazon "deal of the day"-type sales and it was like $35.

Last edited: