Emergency contact options

I have been looking into ways to have the ability to contact help or inform family that Im ok. The fact that Im hiking with my 3 yr old greatly ups the concern level for my family and myself, if anything happened to me he obviously cant take care of himself up there and thats my greatest concern. I have been looking into renting a satalite phone but that only covers me for bigger trips. I am looking into the spot system or even the spot or intouch system linked to the PN-60w for the ability to send two way messages. Does anyone have any expierence with these systems? I imagine just the spot system would work and is significantly cheaper but the ability to have two way contact, even when calling an emergency seems like it might be worth it. thanks for your input

B

bearguide

i have used sat phones and really like them, except the cost

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using the SPOT one way messenger for 4 years now and highly recommend it. I send my wife dozens of messages a fall to let her know I'm OK. Have only had one message not show up. Haven't used the 911, but am confident it would work well.

Kenai

Lil-Rokslider
I went through the same thing just a bit ago. I have 2 girls age 3 and 5 that like to tag along with dad. While mom just kinda excepts I will probably be OK. She doesn't feel the same about the girls.

We looked into Sat phones, spot and plb's. Sat phones were pretty expensive so that was a factor. When we looked into spot I wasn't too excited about the message system. I want to get out and have the time to spend with the girls. I don't want to have to send messages back home every 10 minutes. Another issue I had with spot is what happens if I don't send mamma a message? Is she gonna freak out and send in SAR because the battery's died?

In the end I chose a PLB. It was not that expensive, I only have to worry about battery's every 5 years, and it always will send a signal. Another big one for me was if something happened to me the girls would be able to activate it.

I still like my choice and it seems to be the best compromise for my family.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My SPOTs batteries have never failed and I don't even change them yearly. Yes, momma will freak out if she doesn't hear from you, but it won't matter what device you are using. That is why I carry a SPOT and a cell phone.

Kenai

Lil-Rokslider
Yup mamma will surely freak out if we are past our arrival time.

I'm not knocking Spot I think it's a great tool. Just throwing another perspective out there.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Sat phone all the way for me!! Being able to actually talk to explain a dire sitiuation and know someone is coming through positive feedback of talking to an actually person rather than blinking lights is totally worth it to me.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Personal Locator Becon (PLB) for me. I have the ACR ResQlink. When I push the button on that thing, I know the cavalery is coming. It works anywhere in the world and once you buy the unit, there is no annual subscription fee. Much cheaper than the SPOT in the long run. It does have the capability to sent an I'm OK message but you do have to pay for that feature.