Emergency communications

We just went through a hurricane and our cell phones and land lines were down for several days. This is as bad as I have ever noticed it, seems the 5G roll out have been a failure. Most days I would have SOS at the top right and even when it said 5G with bars it wouldn’t work. We tried switching to LGT or whatever it is…still nothing.

What would you guys recommend as a cell phone alternative for emergency situations like this. Wi-Fi was spotty or non existent. I need to get a handful of devises for a few crews and family members. Would the inreach mini be a good option or is there something else that would work better? I started thinking about this forum because having something that would work for this and a western hunt makes the pill a bit easier to swallow. Surely I will draw another tag at some point.

I called today about some 2-way radio options that seem good but they aren’t cheap and need either 4G or Wi-Fi, which is a problem. Almost makes me want to switch our internet to star link. The 2way options have monthly subscriptions or month to month with higher payments. when I started counting how many I need it gets pricey, but I can tell you being cut off from everyone during an event is not good.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

HTNFSH

FNG
I have an In-Reach Mini 2 and it's great for hunting.
You don't need a cell if you preload messages or use canned ones. The downside is that it's really a two-device system if you want longer, more detailed text two-way communication (paired with cell via Bluetooth). That drains more battery.

If it were me, I'd have something like a Garmin GP67i or a Spot X messenger. Both have built-in keyboards, the latter with external buttons instead of a touch screen like the GPSMAP 67i.

The Garmin InReach seems like a good answer to this issue.

Use the device to text on your cell phone via satellite, without cell service.

inReach or Zoleo

BTW you can type out custom messages on an inReach Mini, it just takes a long time because there's not a full keyboard so you have to scroll through the alphabet one click at a time.

Luked

WKR
Would think that any of the sat messengers like InReach or Zoleo would work well.
I have a new in the box Zoleo sitting on the shelf that I havent even activated yet.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely a sat device. Cell networks after a disaster will be overwhelmed for a long time, that’s what’s happening when you have bars but nothing works.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
InReach, but I have experienced delays of several hours to send a message from the backcountry so don’t think it’s as quick as a regular text message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobBob

FNG
I have a zoleo. If you just care about messaging, it seems to be the best. I reach will do more. Only thing I wanted it for was to communicate when outside cell coverage. It does require you to use your phone. You get a regular phone number with it and then use the app to send and recieve text as normal. It also everything good message button.