Elk vs. Mule Deer

So here I am yet again eating archery elk tag soup. I’ve been at it for 3 years now and definitely have gotten a little better each year. But as much I’ve come to love archery hunting elk regardless of my lack of success, I like eating elk better.

I’m wondering if I should switch things up for next year and do archery deer and rifle elk. I’ve got a baby due early next year and so my time will be limited come hunting season. To those who have archery hunted both critters, are mulies any easier of an archery hunt than elk? I definitely want a deer tag in my pocket because the opportunity for good quality bucks where I live is too good to pass up. Thanks!

unless you're talking young does IMO archery hunting elk in September is easier than archery hunting deer in September. This year I had encounters with at least 75 elk. I saw exactly one mule deer. Obviously this depends on where you hunt.

hiker270

WKR
No doubt Elk is better eating in my opinion. Calling in a bull in archery season during the rut is one of the most exciting hunting experiences there is.

nphunter

WKR
Depends on where you live and what you are after. Killing a mule deer buck with a bow is super easy IMO, killing an old mature buck is a challenge but the same can be said for elk. I think killing any young animal with a bow and arrow is super easy, elk or deer.

If you live somewhere with decent deer numbers you can literally drive around until you find a group of deer and almost walk up to a yearling buck and shoot him, a young mule deer has to be one of the dumbest animals on the planet.

As far as table fair, I prefer deer over elk but both are great when properly taken care of in the field. There isn't a lot out there better to eat than a yearling forked horn except maybe an antelope.

I personally feel like killing an elk with a bow is easier than killing one with a rifle, and killing a mature buck is much easier with a rifle than a bow.

for me rifle hunting is all around easier. im 5/6 on western rifle tags and 1/4 on western archery (both species in each total). im not to picky yet though, i must just suck. I've had many close encounters with the bow though just never seal the deal. it probably depends on your hunting style though to.

Over the last 2 seasons, I could have easily taken a Mulie over an Elk. For some reason, I see a lot more deer during archery than Elk.

Wrench

WKR
It's normal to have bomber bucks sit on your lap when you have a bull tag....and vice versa. Elk will come to the call, deer, not so much.

If time is limited and you're doing DIY, go with the boom stick. And that's coming from a longtime archer who also rifle and muzzleloader hunts.

If time is limited and you're doing DIY, go with the boom stick. And that's coming from a longtime archer who also rifle and muzzleloader hunts.
I second this. My wife and I had our first kid last year in August. I lasted 6 days I think in the elk woods before I knew it was time to go home. This year, I was fortunate to draw a deer tag in my backyard and was able to finally arrow a legal buck after about 10 days of hunting. I was then able to take a very nice bull with my rifle my first day out. Takeaways: if you can hunt familiar ground and have the opportunity to do so with a rifle, you increase your odds of tagging out.

centershot

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, killing a big mule deer buck with a bow is a big challenge and nothing to do in a hurry. Now if killing an ok buck is your goal then that's not nearly as difficult. I personally would much rather hunt elk, so it takes a pretty good buck for me to even mess with them until an elk has been arrowed.

I have a young family with 3 kids all age 8 and under. It’s hard on my wife for me to leave for long periods of time. I’m just getting into archery and it’s my goal to archery hunt eventually. But at this point in time, it’s much easier for me to rifle hunt in areas I’m familiar with. Also, I DIY all of my hunting at this point as well.

I would do what is most time effective and has the highest chance for success. But that’s just me.

Used to be late season cow tags in Utah. You could look for an opportunity like that to fill the freezer after the archery season if you wanted best of both worlds. Its not a guarantee though that the freezer would be filled but a bettering of the odds.

In my opinion if you’re in it for more chance of success, I’d go rifle elk. Archery mule deer isn’t easy either, but you’ll bump up your odds of getting the freezer filled significantly this way.