Elk Stolen in Billings

Spike elk

WKR
That sucks. There are too many freaking losers out there. I wouldn't leave a raghorn in the back of the truck unattended. Hope they figure out who it was.

Goatboy22

FNG
I stopped at the Town Pump to fuel up on the south side of I-90 out where it splits with I-94 in Billings two days ago after bird hunting in central Montana for 2 weeks. Place was a pisshole. I was the only guy fueling up that didn't have neck tattoos merging into face tattoos covering half their heads. Approx. 1 PM on Friday. Yes, they all had Montana license plates. I made sure I had my Glock 22 on hand while going inside. Traffic on I-90 from Livingston to Billings was comparable to I-70 in Colorado on a ski weekend. Up on the Hi-line was nice, but some places in Montana sure have changed! I wouldn't leave my ex-wife in my truck in some places in Montana anymore. Bird hunting was awesome though!

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I know people want to blame this guy for not bringing it in the room, but I get it. My buddy and I stayed a night in a hotel on the way back from our elk hunt last month. First time I’ve stayed in a hotel with a harvest. I don’t have a canopy on my truck and was worried about it getting stolen so we brought it all inside. The meat was in a cooler on ice so no problems there, but the head had been sitting out in the elements for almost a week by that point and it stunk up the room so bad we couldn’t stand it. Not to mention all the beetles and maggots. I ended up wrapping it up in a tarp and putting it back out in the bed of my truck overnight. Luckily it was still there the next morning. I think it’s time to start looking for a canopy.

Rich M

WKR
We all come from diff parts of the country - I can't leave the car doors unlocked overnight cause some transient or lowlife is gonna get in there.

You gotta at least make it difficult to see and access. A $10 driveway alarm will let you know if someone is messing with your stuff. Put it under a tarp, where when they lift up the tarp, it goes off. No mistakes that way.

But if you come from a place where you can leave your house unlocked and feel safe, you don't think like that and I'm jealous. Hate having to worry about stuff walking off all the time.

Wapiti1

WKR
I stopped at the Town Pump to fuel up on the south side of I-90 out where it splits with I-94 in Billings two days ago after bird hunting in central Montana for 2 weeks. Place was a pisshole. I was the only guy fueling up that didn't have neck tattoos merging into face tattoos covering half their heads. Approx. 1 PM on Friday. Yes, they all had Montana license plates. I made sure I had my Glock 22 on hand while going inside. Traffic on I-90 from Livingston to Billings was comparable to I-70 in Colorado on a ski weekend. Up on the Hi-line was nice, but some places in Montana sure have changed! I wouldn't leave my ex-wife in my truck in some places in Montana anymore. Bird hunting was awesome though!
Billings hasn't changed. It was rough 40 years ago. It's rough today.

Just more tattoos.

Feel sorry for the guy to some extent. But only to the extent that you don't leave valuables unattended or in plain sight. Game theft has been around since the time of the wooly mammoth.

Jeremy

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I’m one of those who does worry too much about theft, thankfully it doesn’t happen much “round my parts”. I can’t imagine someone having the gall to take a trophy like that.

mmw194287

WKR
Sounds like they also left all of their gear in the back of the truck and had a bow, etc. stolen as well.

I know some great, reliable, honest people with neck/face/head/hand tattoos.

I've also known some really scummy, thieving, trashy people without any tattoos.