Elk step to YARDS

First time archery elk hunter here. I was listening to a podcast and they mentioned calculating yardage once and elk starts walking from a known to unknown distance.

For the veterans out there, when it elk takes a full step walking, what’s the estimated yardage that you add per step?

I don't believe I've ever considered this technique. I've got so many other thoughts racing through my head, counting an elk's steps and converting yardage is probably not a mental exercise I'm capable of in that moment.

I try to range and know by landmarks various ranges. Not always successful depending on how fast things unfold. At the very least, I try to figure 20, 30, & 40. If they come to 20 and spook a little and I stop them at 30 (there was a stick on the ground at 30) it was close enough to work. Actually happened on my first bull exactly as described above. Moving further away from a known yardage versus closer is my normal. Under estimated a nice bear's yardage a few years ago, and shot under him. Over estimated a bull last year and shot over. Both clean misses after they moved further away, but I've got a short draw, 500 gr. arrow at 250 fps. Knowing yardage pretty close is necessary for me for a good hit.

Rarely has the movement from a known to unknown yardage been straight line movement that is observable, ymmv.

Sako76

WKR
A guide once told me when an elk takes a step it’s 41 inches, I’m not sure if this is true or not!

WTFJohn

WKR
First time archery elk hunter here. I was listening to a podcast and they mentioned calculating yardage once and elk starts walking from a known to unknown distance.

For the veterans out there, when it elk takes a full step walking, what’s the estimated yardage that you add per step?

Entirely too many variables there to use this technique as a valid one for ranging. Did the podcaster also mention how many elk he's stuck arrows into and not recovered while just eyballin' it?

Use your rangefinder, make a good shot. Distances out west are VERY deceiving, for proof just go look at the trees around targets at a TAC event.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t focus on the minutia. There are so many variables that need to go right for proper execution, no need to add anything further. As noted above range items to give you yardage markers that the elk will come by. Focus on remembering your shot sequence, holding on a speck of hair, keeping the wind in your favor and selecting a good setup. Things will happen so quickly and you will hear your heart beating🤙 good luck

I heard that podcast too. I don't think I'm capable of keeping track of something like that in the moment. Know your pre-ranged landmarks, and equally important - get good at estimating. Whenever you're walking around, pick out a tree and guess the yardage, then check. Start to get a really good feel for distances in the terrain you're hunting, it never looks the same as the target in your yard

TWoch

FNG
I find it funny that counting steps during a stressful encounter seems implausible, yet remembering 5+ yardages from first sight is a breeze. To each their own I guess. Can’t always get a ton of ranges.

waspocrew

WKR
Like others have said, there's no way I could count steps in the moment. Just do your best to get another range if possible.

S.Clancy

WKR
Get another range. It's very, very rare I can't get another range on a bull. It's also why you keep a diaphragm call in your mouth.

Marble

WKR
There's way too much going on to count steps when a bull gets in my zone.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

wweaver

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds close. All I know is they are walking you have to jog to keep up. If you do not have a really good angle with the wind in your favor and quiet favorable terrain, your done.

j_volt

WKR

I know exactly the podcast you are talking about... I rolled my eyes so hard when he was saying that. The way he talked about just guessing yardage based on throwing a football was laughable. I guess that is why they got last place in the Sig games.