Elk Score Help

I am new to scoring elk and have been doing some research. I would just like to get a few others' opinions with more experience and see if I'm close. Would a few with experience on scoring be able to give me an approximate? How much more growth possible? This was taken July 20th.

Thanks!IMG_5388.jpgIMG_5389.jpgIMG_5399.jpgIMG_5402.jpgIMG_5405.jpg

This late in the game, no additional length or girth. He is what he's going to be for the year, probably 310-ish inches. Possibly 320", but I highly doubt it. That's my take on it, anyway.

OP
S
Thanks all I really appreciate. I was guessing 310-320ish.

Last edited:
OP
S
Thanks everyone. Helps give me a better perspective. I’m looking for a 330+ in a unit that is capable so just want this one for a reference.

TaperPin

WKR
At a quick glance my eyes go to the 3rd points first, then the depth of fork between 5th/6th, then lengths of 1 and 2. This is that bulls first 6x6 rack so nothing is all that big under the velvet - like a deer’s first 4x4 rack. It’s stuck in the middle - many folks wouldn’t have it mounted since it’s so small, and some folks would say it’s a shame to kill it as a meat bull since in the next few years he’ll be much bigger and rag horns are probably more plentiful. I’d say a 6x6 is a milestone in any hunter’s journey.

Thanks everyone. Helps give me a better perspective. I’m looking for a 330+ in a unit that is capable so just want this one for a reference.

Yep, that bull is definitely NOT 330 inches. For 330 inches, you'll need what he's already got, plus more length to the main beam. He has good tine length, and decent circumferences, but he needs at least another 8 inches of length on each beam to meet or break 330".

OP
S
Yep, that bull is definitely NOT 330 inches. For 330 inches, you'll need what he's already got, plus more length to the main beam. He has good tine length, and decent circumferences, but he needs at least another 8 inches of length on each beam to meet or break 330".
Sure. And I never thought he was. I’m just trying to get a reference of a few smaller class bulls to compare. Hopefully the next two scouting trips will help me find a few others to compare. Thanks.

I'd say 295-300" I agree velvet is hard to judge and they shrink up more than you think. He doesn't look like and old bull but in an OTC unit he's a shooter no question.