Elk Roast

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a large chunk of Elk bottom round roast I want to cook in the crock pot. Usually my wife will make a regular type roast in there but she is working 3 12 hour shifts at the hospital this weekend so I can't ask her for tips on cooking this. What do I need to put in the crock pot with this piece of meat? I can use a grill pretty good but other than dropping in this meat and turning it on, I don't know what I am doing. What do I need to get from the store?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never cooked elk, but I do moose/goat/caribou roasts the crockpot frequently. While there are lots of yummy ways to do it,The easiest way I have found is to add 1 packet of Lipton onion soup mix and about 1 cup of water. You could also do half a cup of red wine or beer and reduce the water by 1/2. If you like potatoes or other veggies add them too! Cook on low about 6 to 8 hours.

OP
WV Hunter

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the Lipton Onion Soup Mix. I'm about to serve it for an early dinner. I had a little sample and it is delicious. Thanks for the recommendation Becca.

R

rebecca francis

I agree. The lipton soup mix is a great addition for the flavor. Let us know how it turns out!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome! Glad it turned out ok....it's a great way to make dinner in a hurry. Let us now how they like it!

jmez

WKR
Never broiled I either grill on indirect heat or crock pot.

This is good for crock pot, I skip the red pepper:

1 3-4 pound roast

1 cup beef broth

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon honey

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

4 cloves garlic chopped

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

shedav14

FNG
If you have anymore elk roasts its worth ma king pastrami. Brine it, sous vide, smoke it. You won’t be disappointed.

Onion Soup mix is a good start/base. You can do a quick brown first, then add what you like. Mushrooms and onion are good. Need a bit more liquid for gravy? add a beer (lighter beers work best for me - don't use an IPA, it can make it bitter). Beef stock and/or a bit of red wine are good as well.

Whisky

WKR
Look up Mississippi roast. Serve over mashed potatoes. Hands down our favorite roast.

I was gonna chime in and say the exact same thing. Mississippi pot roast. Fricken phenomenal.
And, if you want to kick it up a notch, smoke your meat for 3 hrs first, then finish in crockpot/Dutch oven.

We like to slice it thin (using an electric knife), and put it on french bread with mayo, pickles, lettuce and tomato to make Elk po-boys. Don't forget plenty gravy so that it runs down your arms to your elbows while you're eating it. Our favorite way to eat roast. Use plenty napkins.

Last edited:

drewgttu

FNG
I'll second the mississippi roast. That's the only way we do roasts now. Served on top of rice or mashed potatoes. Don't skimp on the pepperoncini juice.