Elk recognizing mouth calls?

Drew a cow tag and will be heading into the elk woods on October 5th. This will be the earliest I've hunted elk, and I imagine there will still be some rut activity. I plan to do some cow calls while moving around, and might try some locator bugles (bulls should still have some cows around, right?). Ive pretty much always stuck with diaphragm, but was thinking of using some reed calls as well, especially since my hunting partner has little experience with diaphragms.

I've had more than one person tell me the "popular" calls that have been around for awhile will actually drive game away (hoochie mama, etc). They've heard those same calls for decades now and recognize them. This was explained to me as well known fact. Is this common knowledge I've just never heard, or typical hunting FUD?

Gerbdog

WKR
Folks got a lot of theories and it makes them feel better about their time in the elk woods.

My friend went for his first archery elk hunt 2 years ago with no experience and no help... just some words of encouragement from me and a location to check out.

Called in and shot a bull using the hoochie mama exclusively.

My step dad sounds like a canada goose when he bugles... have experienced him calling a bull into my lap even though i figured i was in for a miserable day in the woods cause his calling made me think "better just put that thing away man"

I personally use a mouth diaphragm and bugle tube for bugling but have had more luck using a reed for cow calls and calf calls when compared to my mouth diaphragm cow calls.

Use what your confident with, not every elk is gonna respond to every call, but some elk may respond to some calls.

OP
T
I appreciate your response, thank you!
Folks got a lot of theories and it makes them feel better about their time in the elk woods.

My friend went for his first archery elk hunt 2 years ago with no experience and no help... just some words of encouragement from me and a location to check out.

Called in and shot a bull using the hoochie mama exclusively.

My step dad sounds like a canada goose when he bugles... have experienced him calling a bull into my lap even though i figured i was in for a miserable day in the woods cause his calling made me think "better just put that thing away man"

I personally use a mouth diaphragm and bugle tube for bugling but have had more luck using a reed for cow calls and calf calls when compared to my mouth diaphragm cow calls.

Use what your confident with, not every elk is gonna respond to every call, but some elk may respond to some calls.

Read1t48

WKR
As you know, elk don’t live for decades and the ones that die of old age don’t share their experiences with the hoochie mama with the grandkids. A friend was with a guide this week in CO. One would think the guide would sound better. It’s his livelihood!
However, the bull would only respond to my buddy’s cow calls. It was very apparent which cow call the bull preferred.
Carry several. Change it up. Don’t worry too much about a certain call being overly popularized. I would also argue that, when you call, making sure it fits into the specific scenario is so much more important than what it sounds like. Example: a bull calling cows bugle can vary a lot from bull to bull. Some sound downright terrible. But every single time they use it, the vocalization means the same thing to the elk and all the elk know it.
Lastly, some calls can allow you to express more emotion, etc. and this can help differentiate you from the human made sounds.