Elk Newbie looking for direction (Montana)

How did everyone make out? We came across 3 bulls, two were encounters while the other was everything they tell you won’t happen...big bull walking across a wide open meadow coming off a dry southwest facing slope on a Friday at noon with wind at his back. We were literally walking back to our truck to wrap up the week when we saw him out in front of us. He basically walked through the parking lot and by the time we could get there he was gone. Crazy! We hiked 50 some odd miles and had we not stopped to talk so long to a couple of other hunters on the way out we may have had him walk right into our laps at the truck!

We are headed back to CO in 2021. Already booked our flights dirt cheap! I’m going to miss these Covid airfares when this whole thing is over!

WKR
Be ready for griz in those mid state districts! Regardless of what fwp says. Found griz crap in one of those places two weekends ago. First time since I started hunting there a few years ago. And after hundreds of miles through there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The biologists REALLY don't want you to know about the brown bear and wolf in my "neighborhood".
Had a wolf in my yard. Sow and cub running around about 2 miles and 800 feet above my house.
GMU 335.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk