Elk Jerky Safe?

I was planning on making some elk jerky, so I sliced up a roast and let it marinade over night. I put the jerky in my dehydrator at 135-140 degrees. After around 5 hours of dehydrating, the dehydrator shut off. I’m assuming the dehydrator was off for 2-3 hours. When I checked on it, the meat was still moist and room temperature. I turned the dehydrator back on and let it finish. The dehydrating time took much longer than I expected (roughly 10 hours). Once finished, I took the jerky and put it in the oven to get it to 160 degrees. I’m concerned about the dehydrator shutting off while the meat was still moist. Do you thing this is safe to eat?

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'd eat it with no hesitation. But I don't GAS about CWD or gluten or cholesterol numbers either.

When researching pemmican I ran across a video of a guy who claimed dehydrating at over
125 degrees is baking not dehydrating and baking removes some of the nutrition.
His reasoning was sound but I'm no nutrition expert so take it for what it's worth.

Pro953

WKR
What kind of marinade did you use?

Honestly I would not worry about it at all, but hard to advise someone without seeing it in person.

Sounds like it was just a few hours. Assuming you used a high sodium marinade between the salt and low moisture it’s not really prime spoilage conditions.

If your slices are too thick or your temp is too high you can end up with a rind/case which makes the middle dry very slow if at all. Sometimes if that happens on a batch I just keep it in the fridge still or eat those pieces first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
I'd eat it with no hesitation. But I don't GAS about CWD or gluten or cholesterol numbers either.

When researching pemmican I ran across a video of a guy who claimed dehydrating at over
125 degrees is baking not dehydrating and baking removes some of the nutrition.
His reasoning was sound but I'm no nutrition expert so take it for what it's worth.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

OP
M
What kind of marinade did you use?

Honestly I would not worry about it at all, but hard to advise someone without seeing it in person.

Sounds like it was just a few hours. Assuming you used a high sodium marinade between the salt and low moisture it’s not really prime spoilage conditions.

If your slices are too thick or your temp is too high you can end up with a rind/case which makes the middle dry very slow if at all. Sometimes if that happens on a batch I just keep it in the fridge still or eat those pieces first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used 1 cup soy sauce a bit of Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, liquid smoke, coriander, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!