Elk intel from guide/outfitter?

simeon

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey all,

This year will be my 2nd year with an archery elk tag in Colorado.

I've chosen to not use any guide or outfitter services because I really want to learn on my own and DIY it. I would be open to hiring a guide in the future to learn how to hunt elk better, but I dont want a full on guide service to hold my hand and do all the work for me. Especially when it comes to camp, meat care and all that. For me, thats part of the whole deal.

However, being out of state and 12+ hours from the hunt area, I cant really scout the area leading up to opening day.

Are there any guides or outfitters that scout a particular area and then sell some information to me prior to heading out there?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

FAAFO

FNG
Colorado does have scouting services. Look up antler quest on Google. Not sure if the units you are interested are ones he operates in but if not he will know who does.

Full disclaimer he’s a convicted poacher and used to be the messiah on the hunting forums before he got caught.

if you don’t find or want to use a scouting service just look on OnX of your unit. Find the pockets farthest from the roads. There will be elk there. Yes it’s that easy.

OP
S

simeon

FNG
Classified Approved
Interesting, I'll check that out. I've used onx for a long time and have been going through mark livesay's elk e-scouting course. I suppose the best thing to do is just test that knowledge on my own and learn first hand over the long haul.

I appreciate the input!

Honestly I wouldn’t hire a scouting service regardless, honestly what’s stopping them from only giving you the information? They may not sell it to a guy in the same exact season but who says they didn’t sell it to the guy before you first. Scouting services are not regulated like the outfitters are, if they screw you there’s no agency to report them to.

IMO scouting service should be considered outfitters, per the definition they are assisting and instructing people in pursuit of game. There are a couple in CO, I wouldn’t support either of them if it was my last hunt, last tag, last chance and it was for all the marbles. One guys a convicted poacher, the other company the owner bashes anyone that calls him out on his information, has fake social medias and will leave bad reviews on a business about anyone that says or asks anything, and from what I’ve seen their “expert scouts” have issues even knowing info about game animals. I will also add that the one guy has his fake profiles to pose as clients and uses those fake profiles to sell business and give good referrals to his business, when it’s just the owner

If I was you I’d go DIY completely or hire an outfitter for a drop camp, it’s basically an outfitter supported diy and most outfitters are going to give you scouting information anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If I only lived 12 hours from my hunting area I’d be there several times a year. Long weekend ls etc. You don’t know how lucky you are nor the value of looking over elk country first hand. It’s priceless. Especially with licenses getting so hard to get.

Tmac

WKR
Have used a scouting service once, for a NV pronghorn tag where I did not have time to scout. Was well worth it. Had camp sites, concentrations of game and 3 locations noted where mature bucks were seen. Had a great time and took my best one to date. Was still a hunt as game moves, but probably saved me 2-3 days of blundering around during the hunt.

OP
S

simeon

FNG
Classified Approved
If I only lived 12 hours from my hunting area I’d be there several times a year. Long weekend ls etc. You don’t know how lucky you are nor the value of looking over elk country first hand. It’s priceless. Especially with licenses getting so hard to get.
I hear ya, just hard to do that with a young family. Maybe I can figure something out.

OP
S

simeon

FNG
Classified Approved
Have used a scouting service once, for a NV pronghorn tag where I did not have time to scout. Was well worth it. Had camp sites, concentrations of game and 3 locations noted where mature bucks were seen. Had a great time and took my best one to date. Was still a hunt as game moves, but probably saved me 2-3 days of blundering around during the hunt.
Yea, something like that I'd be interested in!

Beendare

WKR
No offense Simeon but everyone wants the easy way out.

Hunting is all about understanding your quarry...and what they are doing at that given time as there are many factors that influence them. There one factor has the most effect; hunt season.

Lace up your boots, cover a lot of ground and study the sign you encounter- that will dictate your hunt strategy.

OP
S

simeon

FNG
Classified Approved

Hunting is all about understanding your quarry...and what they are doing at that given time as there are many factors that influence them. There one factor has the most effect; hunt season.

Lace up your boots, cover a lot of ground and study the sign you encounter- that will dictate your hunt strategy.
I appreciate the honesty! No offense taken! I'm aware of some folks wanting information without putting in effort, I also understand being new to hunting the West and overwhelmed on where to start and just trying to ask questions and get started.

Anyway, I'm really not looking for an easy way out and I am very willing and excited to lace em up and hit the ground in Sept. Physically I have been working hard on legs and lungs and am more fit than last year. Ended last season with my first bull call in but never got a shot opportunity, so looking to pick up where I left off.

I was just looking to see if there is additional information I can add to my e-scouting efforts to further increase my chances of success. I only get 1 week a year to do this, so I just want to maximize the time.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider

This x100.

Beendare

WKR
I appreciate the honesty! No offense taken! ...
I was just looking to see if there is additional information I can add to my e-scouting efforts to further increase my chances of success. I only get 1 week a year to do this, so I just want to maximize the time.
I doubt any outfitter will give you legit advice....theirs is hard fought knowledge....just like successful hunters. I was helping an outfitter buddy with rifle elk hunters a few years back and we ran into a bunch of hunters asking- "We see tracks but think the elk left this unit, Have you seen anything?"

"Nope, haven't seen a one"....... though we were seeing good bulls every day and 4 of 5 guys had tagged out on 6 point bulls.

Escout;
I look for every access point and road, quad or motorcycle trail....it's nice to know where those are to get around in the unit.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
It’s Colorado archery. Preseason scouting isn’t very valuable unless you’re looking to get one opening morning even then you are likely surrounded by other guys.

By the 2nd day the elk are all blown out of their normal patterns and dispersed all over. Unless you’re hunting an exclusive unit scouting won’t do you much good anyway.

Now knowing and understand the terrain and where pressured elk might go is a different story.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I know nothing of Colorado, but couldn't agree more about what's been mentioned. Nothing will beat you actually getting there and putting boots on the ground.

Best of luck!