Elk hunting the Bob Marshall wilderness

grainhog

FNG
If you ever want to do it again, let me know. Always wanted to do that hunt. And have fairly decent intel on where some elk hang near the river.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I would consider it. I have rafted pretty extensively back there. Let me know if you want to discuss.

Maybe the guy shoulda just asked for honey holes instead, Christ almighty let him hunt the Bob! Hope he goes somewhere else and packs out a 400” bull right by your camp.
I'm just reviewing this thread (late) but I agree. WTH?!?! Let the guy live his life! 'ell, thirty years ago, I sat out a blizzard at +10,000 ft., for three days... on foot! I did that because I wanted to! There is likely no one on this entire site that would do something even close to that! Again, this is late but if you read this, I hope you got in there and did what you wanted. 👍👍👍👍

Sorry it’s taken so long for me to get back on here. The trip to the Bob was an absolute adventure in every sense. We got to the trailhead a little late on a Wednesday and decided to spend the night at the trailhead. The next day we woke up and it was soaking wet outside. We honestly weren’t prepared for the literal 24 hour long rain shower and didn’t feel like hiking in the rain because of that so we headed to Missoula for the day and came back to the trailhead and spent another night there. Woke up the next morning and hiked in got our camp set up and got some rest so we could hunt hard the coming days. Woke up in the morning and got a cool surprise when I stepped out of the tent and had a good looking mule deer buck 10 yards away from me. There were also a few does nearby as well. This made me pretty hopeful for the rest of the trip that we were in a good spot. As we got going hiking we also spotted some mountain goats up in some cliffs which was super cool to me! We glassed the basin closest to camp the first night and didn’t see anything at all other than a few more mule deer does. The next day we hiked to the next basin and same result (we did find some older sign though it was a couple weeks old). We continued this plan until the hunt was over and we hadn’t seen a single elk. It was a tough hunt from a physical perspective made my leg muscles pretty tired hiking in with a pack full of gear for a 8-9 day hunt. We also saw one set of wolf tracks and I saw a Grizzly roughly 70 yards away running away from me which was a neat experience as well. It was a great learning experience and a fun experience to go to a legendary wilderness but I don’t think I’ll ever do it again other than if I just want to do a summer hiking/fishing trip. I was able to catch a few rainbows out of a little lake we were camped by and I’m not a good fisherman so that was cool for me haha anyhow, I’ll post a few pictures of the adventure here too. I hope you all enjoy the story! Btw I highly recommend some Rainers waiting for you at the trailhead for when you get back to the truck!
'ell yes!!! There ya go!!! I'm glad you did it! Fantastic! 👍👍👍👍👍

Back in the 90s, I had to do some work in the Great Bear in late August. Had my own stock but it was so heavily used that grass was darn hard to find. Most of the area had long term camps in place with hay already packed in.

In the three days in there I don't remember seeing anything alive. I didn't have any urge to hunt in there before and certainly didn't have any urge afterwards. I did my work and moved on.

neilv

FNG
LOL! It was just me and my brother from IA. We hunted with 3 fellas from AR, a guy from KS, and a father/son from WA.

I didn't know Rokslide was a thing until March of '21, 6 months prior to our trip that we booked in 2020. I was more than unprepared and naive. However, I will say that this was a bucket list hunt for my brother and me and it checked all the boxes (old school adventure, spectacular scenery, physical challenge, absolute remoteness) we wanted minus his filling a tag. Honestly, I was pretty confident that we'd both come home with something (wishful thinking of the ignorant).

We spent a lot of time researching different states and outfitters, and narrowed down to this unit in MT mostly because we could draw without having to wait several years. This was a hunt we'd been wanting to do for years with our older brother and Dad, but unfortunately we lost both of them to cancer before we could get our $hit together. I was 45 and my brother was 47 when we booked, and after losing our older brother at 50, we had an elevated sense of urgency.
did you hunt with Colter - i think the outfit might be called montana safaris?

did you hunt with Colter - i think the outfit might be called montana safaris?
Yes we did. If there were more animals I'd go back. One of his fishing trips would be awesome in the summer. Scenery is incredible and fishing is supposed to be pretty good as well. You gotta like horses and not be feint of heart to go back in there. Some of those trails might be more dangerous on foot! J/K, but there are some very steep and terrifying places along the trail.

neilv

FNG
Yes we did. If there were more animals I'd go back. One of his fishing trips would be awesome in the summer. Scenery is incredible and fishing is supposed to be pretty good as well. You gotta like horses and not be feint of heart to go back in there. Some of those trails might be more dangerous on foot! J/K, but there are some very steep and terrifying places along the trail.
i have done a couple horseback trips in the Frank Church out in idaho - im no expert on horses but i enjoy them. My buddy and myself met colter at the western hunt expo and booked a hunt with him for 2024. Kind of wondering if the hunting will be worth it or not.
Do you have any other pros or cons about your experience with him?