Elk Hunting Road Trip to Idaho

DMurphy

FNG
A buddy and I are headed to Idaho in October for an elk hunt. Current travel plans have us passign through Sioux City, into Sioux Falls then west on 90 through South Dakota and Montana, turning off at about Butte. Neither of us has ever been through this area before. Any good suggestions for places to stop or things to see along the way? We are not looking to spend too much time not driving, but a few well placed stops would likely be well received.

Finch

WKR
Rushmore is definitely a quick stop. Cool to see but don't really have a desire to see it again. I think you can drive by and see crazy horse from the road if I'm not mistaken. We started to drive in but the pay booth let us drive past and pull a u turn.

jmez

WKR
Going up to Watertown is a 105 mile detour, one way.
Badlands definitely worth seeing. You can see crazy horse from the highway.
Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
If you are into coffee shops....
Josiah's in Sioux Falls
Pure Bean in Rapid City
Treeline in Bozeman

Brendan

WKR
My route to Montana always took me north of there as the quickest route, ended up going through ND. If you do that, Theodore Roosevelt National Park - right off the highway in western ND right before the Montana Border. Bison in the parking lot, BIG bull elk bugling in the badlands down below the overlook. Cool place.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
My route to Montana always took me north of there as the quickest route, ended up going through ND. If you do that, Theodore Roosevelt National Park - right off the highway in western ND right before the Montana Border. Bison in the parking lot, BIG bull elk bugling in the badlands down below the overlook. Cool place.
We are taking that route home. Thank you for this!

We drive from WI to ID to bow hunt elk every year, well this will be our last year for a while most likely.

These are the cool things we've done on the various drives out:
1. Drive thru Badlands park. You enter on one side (by the prairie dog place) and come out in Wall, where Wall Drug is. Very beautiful detour.
2. Mt. Rushmore. See it once and you're done.
3. Devils' Tower in WY. It's a bit of a detour (couple hours) but there is an awesome walking trail that takes you all the way around the tower. We did a family trip out there a couple summers ago and that was one of my kids favorite things to do.

Depending on how much time you have on the drive out..........you could also:
4. Once you get into MT, you could turn and run down into Gardiner, MT and take the northern loop of Yellowstone. Go in at Gardiner, come out in Western Yellowstone, then right into ID. Jus t know, it's slow going in Yellowstone. You're going to get no where fast once you're in there. (I also don't know when they formally close the park either, so you may want to look into that if you're going in later October.

-BHWI