South east idaho (IF)

I recently made the move to south east idaho (Idaho falls) from western washington. I have a 6 month probation period for hunting as a resident. Coming from the north cascades, I'm struggling to find places to pack in for backpack hunting and remain away from all the ohv trails. My 6 months is up on October 1st so I'll be hunting this year and I'm useing that time to scout and fish (which I'm also struggling with). I'm wondering if anyone has any information, I'm 29 years old and looking for any help or guidence or even hunting buddies, I can pack out meat and I hike far. I'm not intrested in telling people about secret spots, I understand how that goes. However being new to this area I'm reaching out and I'm always willing to help others out. So in sense I figure that it's worth a try reaching out here. Thanks in advance and feel free to message me as well.

If I were you - I’d get OnX or Go Hunt apps (if you don’t already have - and start checking out areas away from roads when ya zoom in/out

Rem - even the best say big elk / deer can be where ya least expect them, i.e. not necessarily the farthest point from road / trail heads

I hunt wyo but trying to snag a tag out there (December application was not good because nothing good left by the time it was my turn to buy).

Scout scout scout and see what you are finding so you can use that when you are putting your strategy together in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go downtown to Jimmy’s Fly Shop and start talking to the folks. Become a good return customer and you’ll start to gain some knowledge, specifically about fishing but hunting and fishing spots are often nearby. There are a lot of good areas near you, you just gotta go out and explore them to find them.

CorbLand

WKR
Most backpack hunting is going to take place farther North or West of you. Not that you cant find areas closer.

Lots of good areas close to IF. Get a map, fill the tank up and report back.