Elk Hunting Reality

Tcatt

FNG
What is a realistic goal to cover (miles) in a day when elk hunting for a guy that’s in pretty good shape? I know there are a lot of variables involved but I’m just looking for a general rule of thumb. I’m going in September for an archery hunt and carrying camp on my back. I’m planning on staying out for 5 days and going back to the truck if need be. Thanks for any info!

4rcgoat

WKR
First rule,don't go any further than you need to find elk. Everyone is different depending on terrain. For me,bow hunting September in the wyoming mountains, I will average between 3 to 15 miles a day,again the terrain, conditions, and sign of elk will dictate how far and how fast I need to go.

WCB

WKR
Way to dependent to tell. Really there shouldn't be a goal on miles. I covered 6 miles in good elk sign having some responses and hunting the whole time. I have also covering 10-15 miles when covering ground to find elk. A in shape guy with his gear tuned in CAN cover a pile of ground even really rough stuff if just traveling.

take what 4rcgoat has to heart...last trip best elk hunting I had was 1/2 mile from the road on day 10-13 after spending 4 days 5 miles into The Bob Marshal sleeping with Grizzlies and 6 more days packed 5 or 6 miles in another area. Slept in my truck and went to town for steak a few nights...

I would agree that somewhere between 2 to 15 miles a day is probably typical for most elk hunts. It seems that some feel you have to cover all kinds of miles when elk hunting as if it is some type of badge of courage, but I would think more about strategy and how you are hunting (glassing points, chasing bugles, wallows) than how much ground you are covering. If you are into elk, don’t leave them to find other elk.

We have found elk on probably 15 of the 20 days of our elk hunting experience so far, been within bow range probably 10 times. Harvested one bull. Missed one cow. Half OTC and half low point draw. All public land.

Longest we’ve ever hiked in a day is about 7 miles. Got the bull like 300 yards from the truck.

OP
Tcatt

Tcatt

FNG
I am trying to map out a hunt and my elevation changes from about 9000 to 12000 in about 3.5 miles. It will be my first backcountry hunt to just trying to be realistic with my goals. Everything I’ve read said the elk will probably be high, if not I’m planning other routes in lower elevation to try and find them.

There are way to many variables to give you a definitive mileage. The route you take to get from Point A to Point B can be all the difference. You need to plan your routes. In a hurry or finding a certain bull and needing to go straight up and over 1.5 miles or having plenty of time to work a trail over around to the same destination at 3.2 miles can make a world of difference. The 3.2 back and forth for 6.4 miles will leave you tired but not totally exhausted. The 3 miles straight up and over and back down and back up again can have you crawling back to camp on all fours wondering why your doing this to yourself. I have been cougar bait many times late a night doing all I could do just to get to back to camp. I would have been an easy meal.

Again, its where you find the elk. Most years a typical day is 6-8 miles. Last year I ran into elk 400 yards from my initial campsite. Bottom line is get yourself in the best shape you have ever been in your life. Most new hunters severely underestimate the lack of oxygen at the higher elevations. You have not stated what elevation you are coming from or going to, but you have to be in the best shape possible. Lots of guys quit and literally go home in two to three days.

Good luck in 2023!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am trying to map out a hunt and my elevation changes from about 9000 to 12000 in about 3.5 miles. It will be my first backcountry hunt to just trying to be realistic with my goals. Everything I’ve read said the elk will probably be high, if not I’m planning other routes in lower elevation to try and find them.
Just know that at 12k feet there isn't much cover, so if there are elk up there, they're really hard to get to within bow range.

So, is that 9k to 12k climb just to get your camp back in there, and then hunt each day from your camp? Even so, it still depends how far you may need to travel each day. I don't sit much, so when I'm hunting.......I'm moving. I can and will cover a lot of ground in a full day if I'm hunting all day. I'm not a setup guy, or a "call and sit" guy, I'm a call and move guy. When I find a bull I'm interested in.......he will respond.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
As others have said, it really just depends.
BUT......remember, however far you go out, you'll have to get back and you'll know what embrace the suck means if you have an elk.

Randy

OP
Tcatt

Tcatt

FNG
Do you guys think it’s necessary to go to 12,000 feet in September or should I try and stay at lower elevation?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
As someone else said, the terrain will be a huge factor. What you described here is very close to where I hike in the summer. Long story short is that I wouldn’t hunt elk solo in that situation, mule deer yes.

OP
Tcatt

Tcatt

FNG
Just trying to make sure I map out more and enough to hunt. I’d hate to map out a 7 mile loop and be back sooner than expected. I know a lot of this is annoying to guys that do these hunts a lot but I’m brand new at this! Appreciate all the help!

Ugly Dog

FNG
Train as much as you can with a pack of the same weight you plan to hunt with. Elevation will be the but kicker and the type of terrain. I’ve camped at a lot of elevations from 2000 feet to 8000 feet. Hiked 8-10 miles a day and that kicked my but at the higher elevations with steep climbs.
I usually averaged 4-5 miles a day for the most part though.

3-6. I’m not searching I’m hunting my area. In decent elk country there should be elk in an area that’s 2 miles wide by 3 or 4 miles long as the crow flies. My goal isn’t miles it’s to not get busted.

Poser

WKR
Do you guys think it’s necessary to go to 12,000 feet in September or should I try and stay at lower elevation?

In many places, the answer is “no.” While you see elk out lounging at 12k all summer, they don’t tend to be that exposed come sept. There are, of course, exceptions and I know some area where elk out at those elevations is common well into Oct. I saw a herd bedded down at 13k during first rifle, but, if they are in those locations during hunting season, it is with reason and intent and you mostly certainty will not get the jump on them because they have too many advantages in those specific locations.